Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Disable syntax coloring but enable bold & italics

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
seandynan Posted - Oct 01 2018 : 06:45:56 AM
Hi

I often disable syntax coloring when switching to dark themes but I'd like to keep local symbols in bold and system symbols in italics.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Oct 03 2018 : 8:41:32 PM
In VS2010+, VA coloring in the editor occurs via VS editor extensibility APIs.

The VsThemeColorBehavior setting does not affect colors used in the editor; it is for things like the VA Outline, VA Hashtags, and Find References results tool windows.

Our support for themes in the editor is limited to 2 sets of colors: 1 for the dark theme, 1 for all other themes. The colors are stored in text representation of a binary blob in the VAX.pkgdef file in the VA install directory. VS reads that to set the default editor colors based on your selected theme. VS reads the pkgdef file to load default colors for a theme -- but if the theme id isn't in the file, then VS defaults to the light theme colors.

This is conjecture and I haven't tried it: If you wanted the VA dark theme colors to be used in a custom theme, you could duplicate the VA dark theme block and give the copy the identifier of the custom theme. You might need to unload and then reload VA in Tools | Extensions and Updates to get VS to reread the file. 1ded0138-47ce-435e-84ef-9ec1f439b749 is the id for the VS dark theme.
feline Posted - Oct 03 2018 : 08:24:04 AM
Personally I am not sure how, but remember you can customise your IDE colour scheme manually to your hearts content. VA watches for and picks up on changing between the default themes, but this breaks when you install this theme extension. I have put in a bug report for this:

case=119750

Exporting and importing IDE font and color settings should be a good work around for this for now. Most of our users pick a theme and tend to stay with it, so having to handle themes changing on the fly isn't a common problem, but it still matters.
seandynan Posted - Oct 03 2018 : 07:46:23 AM
How does vassist detect unknown themes? I have set the registry option VsThemeColorBehavior=2 (Assume unknown themes are Dark) but it never works if I use a dark theme other than the one that comes with Visual Studio 2017. Any non-Microsoft dark theme results in vassist choosing the default colors for light themes.
feline Posted - Oct 03 2018 : 06:33:19 AM
VA does do redrawing over the top, but we also make our colours available in the IDE settings. There is a certain amount of playing around behind the IDE's back to get things to work.

But the result is that because VA's colours are listed in the IDE options dialog, exporting just the colour settings should help you to get where you want to be.
seandynan Posted - Oct 03 2018 : 04:33:08 AM
Oh. I didn't realise Vassist just changed the current font colors. I thought it 'redrew' the screen over the top of Visual Studio! I guess I could try your suggestion then. Thanks for your help.
feline Posted - Oct 02 2018 : 4:54:17 PM
When you have a colour scheme you like, with nice matching VA colours, have you considered just exporting the full set of colour settings, via

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

with only the single node:

Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors

selected for export? Then you can reimport everything as a block when you want to go back to this theme.
seandynan Posted - Oct 02 2018 : 06:29:26 AM
I change themes now and again. I just fancy a change, maybe a few times a month. Sometimes I like dark, sometimes light (especially when the sun shines through my office window in the afternoon).

If it's a big deal don't worry about it. :)

Perhaps VAssist could ship with a bunch of light and dark themes, instead of just one of each, to give theme jumpers like me more of a choice?
feline Posted - Oct 02 2018 : 05:58:10 AM
Do you often change colour themes in the IDE? If so, are you changing between light and dark themes, or just between different Light or different Dark themes?

Applying bold and italic is tightly tied to applying the colours, so I am trying to work out if we get the VA colours working correctly for your current theme, if this is going to be close enough?
seandynan Posted - Oct 01 2018 : 08:20:20 AM
I have a suite of VS themes from here https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=JustinClareburtMSFT.ColorThemesforVisualStudio

If I want to use the custom font colors in those themes I have to disable the Visual Assist ones. But I'd like to keep the bold and italic symbols :)
feline Posted - Oct 01 2018 : 07:34:12 AM
VA does have support for a dark IDE colour theme, and should automatically switch to a dark friendly colour scheme for highlighting inside the editor. But we do recommend you turn off highlighting for tooltips, and any other parts of the IDE that don't have a dark theme applied.

Have you tried restarting your IDE since changing theme?

Do you change your theme often?

Which IDE are you using? Are you using one of the build in IDE themes, or a custom dark theme?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000