Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA Hashtags lists positions in removed files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bta Posted - Jan 25 2018 : 03:16:04 AM
Hi,

It looks like the issue with the VA Hashtags showing positions in removed files is back.
(at least I seem to remember that the very first version that had VA Hashtags had this issue...)

In order to reproduce:
I created a new project and added 3 empty testx.cpp files.
In each of them I added a single line containing
// #MyHash fix me

They all nicely showed up.
I then first removed test2.cpp from within Visual Studio.
It still was listed in the VA Hashtags though.
When I closed down VS and restarted the solution, it was gone.

Then I closed down VS again and manually removed the test3.cpp file and removed it manually (texteditor) from the vcxproj file (just removed the 1 line mentioning).
I then restarted VS and opened the solution.
The test3.cpp was still listed in the hashtags and clicking on it didn't do anything.
Using the Refresh command from the RC popup menu doesn't fix the issue.

Version info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2248.0 built 2017.12.16
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.18837
Windows Server 2008 R2 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1 (remote)
36 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Bart
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - May 01 2018 : 4:48:28 PM
case=114055 is fixed in build 2270
feline Posted - Jan 29 2018 : 12:35:33 PM
Thank you for the update. The first situation seems fairly minor, but yes, the second situation, this is also going to be easy to trigger with source control, and is somewhat more serious. Hopefully you don't run into this problem to often, and at least if it is causing problems we now know that a symbol database rebuild will fix the problem, and this should only take a few minutes at most, unless you have a really massive solution.
bta Posted - Jan 29 2018 : 03:24:24 AM
I always choose the Delete option.
But to be honest, I tried my scenario 1 again this morning and it seems that the entries are removed after doing a Refresh, or going to another open file, ...
If I first delete the file (Solution Explorer) and then go to the VA Hashtags dock (I have them both in the same dock position as separate tabs), and wait, it is still listed.
Performing some other action (like Refresh, double clicking another entry in the VA Hashtags tree, activating another file, ...) does remove it.
Most likely I didn't do such an action when I described the issue...
That means that for me, this scenario is not really that much of a problem.

The second scenario however, is our actual issue: our project files are being generated by our in house build system...
So would be nice if that one could be fixed.

Thanks!
feline Posted - Jan 26 2018 : 09:25:43 AM
For your first step, when you removed the file within visual studio, did you just remove the file from Solution Explorer, but left it on the hard drive, or did you tell the IDE to actually delete the file from the hard drive as well?

For me, if I tell the IDE to delete the file from the hard drive as well, then the file is removed from the Hashtags window. If I leave the file on the hard drive then the file is not removed from the Hashtags window, but it is removed if I then refresh the window, or double click on the entry for the removed file. Interestingly the "deleted" file, which is still on the hard drive, is opened in the IDE, even as its entry in the Hashtag window is removed.

I have put in a bug report for this:

case=114056

The problem where the project file is edited outside of the IDE, that's a bit more tricky. I am seeing the same effect here, and the only way I am able to get the file removed from the Hashtags window is by doing a VA Symbol database rebuild:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

I have also put in a bug report for this problem:

case=114055

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000