Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Wrong tooltips for enumerated values

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
iksa Posted - Dec 19 2017 : 07:38:34 AM
C++ example code:

enum ExampleEnum
{
Value0, ///< Description for Value0
Value1, ///< Description for Value1
Value2, ///< Description for Value2
Value3, ///< Description for Value3
Value4, ///< Description for Value4
Value5, ///< Description for Value5
Value6, ///< Description for Value6
Value7 ///< Description for Value7
};

Now, hover mouse over the enumerated values here in the definition or anywhere else in the codebase where these enumerated values are used. For the first enumerated value (Value0) the tooltip shown shows the correct comment (Description for Value0), for values Value1 - Value6 it shows 2 comments (the one for Value0 + the one for the value in question), and for Value7 it shows only the comment of Value0. If you add a comma after Value7, then it behaves in the same way as Value1 - Value6. The expected behavior would be to just show the description of the value in question, not that of other values.

Note that the comment style used in the example above is Doxygen post format but it does not really change the behavior if you use regular C style comments and // tag instead. Also note that the behavior does not change if I change my selection in Visual Assist Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content.

I document class member variable declarations in the same way as the enumerated values in the example above. The listboxes with them work a little bit better but there is an unnecessary error message "XML comment contains invalid XML: Whitespace is not allowed at this location." in the beginning of the listbox text.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 20 2017 : 08:43:49 AM
Unfortunately no, our bug database is not publicly visible, but this thread will be updated when the bug has been fixed, and it will also be noted in the VA release notes. You can also ask for an update, but currently I don't have an estimate or any information on when this will be looked at.

I had not considered hiding the error message line. It is an interesting thought, and makes sense. I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of this idea:

case=113328
iksa Posted - Dec 20 2017 : 02:32:53 AM
Thank you for the reply. Can I access the bug report you created to see its content and progress, if so please provide a full link to it.

I understand the XML error message comes from the IDE but would Visual Assist be able to remove it?

I forgot to mention I am using Visual Studio 2015 but maybe it does not matter as you apparently were able to reproduce the issue anyway.

Thank you!
feline Posted - Dec 19 2017 : 3:16:56 PM
The error message in the tooltip is coming from the IDE, this happens even when VA has not been installed. I recognise this as a standard Doxygen format myself, and since this is C++, I am not quite sure why the IDE feels the need to add this error message.

VA is adding the comment or comments at the bottom of the tooltip, and also applying syntax colouring to the tooltip text, if you have turned this on. Which is showing the wrong comment, or one to many comments, for most of these items. I have put in a bug report for this:

case=113284

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000