Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Studio 2015 HLSL support

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hop Posted - Jul 19 2016 : 11:28:24 AM
What is the current state of play wrt using Visual Assist with .hlsl files in VS2015?

In the past I have added .hlsl files to VS->Options->Text Editor->File Extension->Microsoft Visual C++ however now that VS has partial in-built support for HLSL I'm a bit wary to do this.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Jul 20 2016 : 7:22:27 PM
quote:
By "native experience" do you mean just using straight Visual Studio text editing for HLSL?

Yes. I don't know how much VS2015 improved with HLSL, but if it's not much, you might still want to use VA for that.

You are right about official support would be cool, but now, we focus mainly on C++ (and secondly on C#) because we want to have great support for C++ instead of having weak multiple language support.

You can help the situation a little bit by using VA_Stdafx.h to add new types:
http://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W302

You can put defines (macros), classes, typedefs here, and they will be handled as they would be part of the solution.
If there is something that VA doesn't understand, you can post here and there might be a workaround using the above method.
Hop Posted - Jul 20 2016 : 03:59:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

We aren't focusing on to improve HLSL support. I would try the native experience first to see if it's enough.

By "native experience" do you mean just using straight Visual Studio text editing for HLSL? It's basically just a little syntax highlighting. In the past I've fooled Visual Studio into treating .hlsl files as .cpp files and it's been quite successful providing refactoring, navigation, parenthesis highlighting etc. Makes the world of difference I find. I had to make a few small changes like adding semicolons at the end of constant buffer declarations to please the VA parser.

HLSL is so similar to C++ and the two are often used together in the same IDE it would be great if you could find a little time to offer a little official support.
accord Posted - Jul 19 2016 : 2:07:51 PM
We aren't focusing on to improve HLSL support. I would try the native experience first to see if it's enough.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000