Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Handling of severely overloaded methods

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lac Posted - Mar 18 2015 : 09:53:07 AM
There is room for improvement to how VAX handles methods that are overloaded for many argument types (ToString, operator<<, ToJson or similarly overloaded methods for all POD types and user structs).

The 'Find Symbol' dialog box does not search in argument types. Perhaps secondary search words could search also in the argument names and types and display results with lower ranking than matches in the method name. For example searching for 'ToString double' gives no result in our workspace with 30+ ToString() methods.

The 'Goto Implementation' and 'Goto Declaration' could be more intelligent in considering the argument types of the definition under the cursor. Perhaps the best matching declarations or implementations could be displayed at the top of the pop-up menu.

Footnote: 'Find symbol' does not find any results for 'operator<<' despite 50+ definitions in our workspace.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 17 2016 : 2:47:00 PM
case=53078 is implemented in build 2112.
feline Posted - Mar 18 2015 : 10:35:46 PM
Filtering the Find Symbol dialog on the function parameters makes sense, and this is something we are considering doing. Keeping the system overload under control is the trick, so a separate syntax for this makes sense:

case=61242

We are looking to improve how alt-g handles overloaded functions:

case=53078

Default parameters complicate matters, so this is not as simple as it first sounds.

For operator<< can you try the filter "<<" instead of "operator<<", this should help.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000