Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Icon refactoring

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
foxmuldr Posted - Sep 09 2014 : 3:10:19 PM
(1) Change the current settings icon into a tomato that's in the shape of a gear.

(2) Change the current enabled/disabled icon (the one with the plug) to become the current settings icon. It already has a checkbox for when VAX is enabled. Clear it out and it's disabled. Intuitive.

I can't tell you how often I click on the settings icon thinking it's
the disable button. Well... I could tell you but the truth is I
honestly don't know. It's ... often. :-)

Just my tuppence.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 18 2014 : 11:51:22 PM
If we provide a check box that means "swap my icons around, to really confuse me", which is how people will describe it when they encounter it, then sadly it is just going to confuse a lot of people. It does not matter what you label the check box, people will turn it on without reading the description first.

Customising the buttons inside the IDE, or a resource editor are your best way forward here.
foxmuldr Posted - Sep 17 2014 : 12:42:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Simply swapping existing icons around is going to confuse everyone else, since the icon's will have changed meanings, quite significantly, without warning.

Something similar would work for VAX's next installer. "Use the old icon theme?" (and have it defaulted to no :-))

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
foxmuldr Posted - Sep 15 2014 : 03:20:47 AM
No. Will do so.
feline Posted - Sep 12 2014 : 7:02:41 PM
Have you tried searching for a resource editor? Replacing one version of the bitmap with another version, of the same dimensions, sounds like something a resource editor is designed to do.
foxmuldr Posted - Sep 11 2014 : 2:20:03 PM
7-Zip did not support that operation.
feline Posted - Sep 11 2014 : 1:26:37 PM
Have you tried simply updating your VaPkgUI.dll, with the IDE closed obviously?

Simply swapping existing icons around is going to confuse everyone else, since the icon's will have changed meanings, quite significantly, without warning.
foxmuldr Posted - Sep 11 2014 : 08:13:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Have you considered simply changing the toolbar icon for one of these two buttons?

How about if I change both? Swapped position with the two icons in the strip, and modified the one to be a gear. I didn't spend much time on it but you get the idea. :-)

Snagged from VaPkgUI.dll\\.rsrc\\BITMAP\\106.bmp using 7-Zip.

Before:

After:

feline Posted - Sep 11 2014 : 01:07:35 AM
Have you considered simply changing the toolbar icon for one of these two buttons? You can do this via the VC6 customize icons dialog. Or move one of the buttons to the other side of the screen, on its own toolbar? Both options that are instantly available to you.
foxmuldr Posted - Sep 09 2014 : 8:08:51 PM
I am interested in enabling/disabling VAX, but I often click the settings/options button by mistake. I don't know why, FWIW, but I believe very strongly it's because there's a checkbox on the icon, coupled to some peculiarity in my makeup which prevents me from utilizing memory and experience over immediate input.

How about we compromise ... and I provide you with some icons? Problem fixed, just like that.
feline Posted - Sep 09 2014 : 7:50:54 PM
If you aren't interested in disabling / enabling VA, then simply customize the toolbar and drag off the enable / disable button. Problem fixed, just like that

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000