Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Refactoring: Reverse of Extract Method

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
khb Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 07:22:02 AM
I like the new refactoring function "Extract Method", but it sometimes happens to me that I need the reverse function. For example: I had a function that shrinked down to 4 lines of code after some refactoring. I called this function just from 2 locations in the code. So my idea was to remove the function and copy its code directly to the 2 locations. It would be cool if this function would be available from the refactoring menu. Of course, this should only be possible if the function to remove doesn't call itself

Regards,
Marcus.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 11:54:58 AM
FWIW: Refactoring is sometimes called "Inline Method."

http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/inlineMethod.html
khb Posted - Jun 28 2006 : 02:13:43 AM
@feline: Thanks for putting in a feature request.
@joe:

Regards,
Marcus.
jpizzi Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 11:18:19 PM
Here is how you can do this without VA's support.

At the beginning of the line, type the string, "inline "

Of course, if you need want VA's help, you could always create an autotext entry
feline Posted - Jun 27 2006 : 4:44:08 PM
i can think of times when working out if the function calls its self would be rather hard to determine. heavy use of overloaded functions plus default parameters is a good example

my gut instinct is to say "leave the function alone", since i have come to view small functions as good, but i understand why you are saying this. it would require the ability to remove the function, and its declaration.

i have just been sitting here, trying to work out it this presents any obvious problems or challenges that would make this very hard to do. so far though i have not come up with anything that sounds worse than extract method must have been, so i have put in a feature request

case=1493

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000