Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA "Reading solution" Dialog Shouldn't Be Modal

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jdimatteo Posted - Jan 21 2015 : 5:09:21 PM
When I open Visual Studio 2012 with many projects (e.g. 50+) a Modal Window frequently appears with title "Visual Assist" and the message "Reading solution projects..." that prevents me from doing anything for ~30 seconds. This really shouldn't be modal preventing me from starting work -- Visual Assist should be able to do what ever it needs in the background and just be disabled, less functional, or broken or whatever until it is ready.

The wholetomato.com homepage describes Visual Assist as "Understated...This product doesn't get in your way" -- obviously a modal window contradicts this.

I don't remember Visual Assist doing this in Visual Studio 2010.

PS. I really like Visual Assist.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 09 2015 : 6:22:15 PM
This FAQ entry explains getting VA log files:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W305

If you do grab logs of this, please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
sean Posted - May 08 2015 : 7:17:04 PM
If your solution is composed of only native projects, then see if unchecking "Enumerate project references thoroughly" on the Projects and Files page of the VA Options dialog improves load time for you.

If there is still a significant lag, then sending in the va.log captured during solution load may help us determine if there is anything else we can do to help.
delscorcho Posted - May 08 2015 : 7:09:25 PM
This is pretty painful for me. The first 3-4 minutes after opening the solution are basically unusable. I would almost rather it block the UI while it processes all the projects. Instead, I get interrupted by the modal dialog sporadically.

An ideal solution would require not blocking the UI thread and conducting the work in the background as VAssist does with most operations.
sean Posted - Jan 22 2015 : 12:48:36 PM
The dialog is not what is blocking the ui -- reading solution projects is blocking the ui. VA can read solution projects without displaying the dialog, but not without blocking the ui thread.

VA doesn't use the Visual Studio IVsThreadedWaitDialog interface in IDEs prior to VS2012 ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.visualstudio.shell.interop.ivsthreadedwaitdialog.aspx ) (note, the dialog appears on a background thread not the UI thread).

It may be that you didn't experience delays loading your solution in VS2010 because it has grown in size (number of projects or number of managed references).

If your solution is composed of only native projects, then see if unchecking "Enumerate project references thoroughly" on the Projects and Files page of the VA Options dialog improves load time for you.

If there is still a significant lag, then sending in the va.log captured during solution load may help us determine the cause.
feline Posted - Jan 22 2015 : 12:13:19 PM
We do try hard to keep out of your way, but unfortunately a certain amount of loading and parsing does need to happen when you first load the IDE and your solution. Still, I agree, a modal dialog is not ideal, I have put in a bug report for this, so the dialog no longer blocks you:

case=87487

I am glad that you like VA over all, and it is good to find out what problems our users are seeing so that we can work to fix them

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000