Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Navigate to inheritance classes, class-members

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wesley.olis Posted - Mar 05 2014 : 01:37:00 AM
Similar to open corresponding file Alt + O.
Implement a Alt + O, C; for class.
Implement a Alt + O, [M|V]; for virtual member functions of the classes
Implement a Alt + O, I; to one of all the found instance of initialization, new.. of the current class and those class that inherit from it.

Normally I would have to make use of find in files for this type of operation, getting more unrelated results or having to craft a special expression, to get more specific results, for someone new to an existing code base which is doing bug fixing, these would be very helpfully.

The ability to navigate the class inheritance.
-Navigation of classes.

Produce a list of parent and child classes with respect to the current
class that my cursor is current positioned in so from a base class one can easily navigate or other class that inherit from it.
It would be great to see the hierarchy display, which is able to clearly communicate the the inheritance path from child to parent for all the classes and then group them when inherit from common class obviously.

-Navigation of virtual member functions of classes.
This should work exactly the same as the navigation of classes, except that this should now be applied at function level. N.B don't for get that one is capable of specifying different default values for virtual functions at different levels.

-Navigation to instance of initialization of classes.
Produce a list similar to all those above, of all the lines in the code
base the instantiate f this class or similar classes, displayed similar to above. This allows a person to quickly determine which class this is meant to be of those sharing a common base class, by finding the corresponding initialization code paths quickly and then correlating those to the context of the code with which one is working with, to find a starting points, to drill down from. As apposed to the other approach of compiling and then running the program under the debugger, especially if the class has been passed as the base class thought many layers of abstraction which one would now have to sift thought.

Grouping results with my current class first, would allow the reverse to happen.
if one has the variable type and would now like to find initialization of that specific class in the current classes, to know which virtual function is going to be called.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 07 2014 : 8:01:45 PM
We have considered some form of tree display to show the class hierarchy, but this is still an idea we are considering, rather than something we have firm plans for. Since the IDE already offers the class view, its not clear what we would be adding to that.

For a virtual method that is used across several classes, have you tried running Find References from the function in the base class? If you right click in Find References Results and turn On "Inherited and overridden references" then VA will also search for the function in the derived classes.
wesley.olis Posted - Mar 06 2014 : 12:36:15 AM
Thanx for the View -> Class View, I think I have tried to use it in the past to try generates some class diagrams.
But I think it may have just have been way to slow in my days before my SSD, so just went by the way side of things.

Regarding the following statement:
"It would be great to see the hierarchy display, which is able to clearly communicate the the inheritance path from child to parent for all the classes and then group them when inherit from common class obviously."
What I am try to convey to you their is that it would be nice if the dialog jump to window or combo list formats
the layout of the jump to results in such a way that it could implicitly also convey the inheritance paths from child to parent.

Some of these functions may better fall under Alt+Shift+O key, which launches a dialog.

Regarding the first to features, it would just save one a couple of clicks each time, when jumping between files, when
re-factoring a method that spans across a whole set of inheritance classes, since alot of the time I find more than
one class in a single file, were the file name doesn't corresponded to that of the class name.

feline Posted - Mar 05 2014 : 8:32:45 PM
Have you looked at the IDE Class View?

View menu -> Class View

this gives you some of this information, certainly about the class hierarchy.

We are considering having Find References search for the class constructor being used, so all places where the class in initialised:

case=1262

This is not easy to work out, but it is something we are thinking about. I have put a note onto the case to also look for the constructors of derived classes, since Find References on a virtual function in a base class will already search for the member in derived classes.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000