Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA Code Definition Window

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
foxmuldr Posted - Dec 17 2013 : 1:49:46 PM
I would like to see a VA tool window available which continually shows whatever would be shown were the mouse hovered over the current token. And if there's room beneath that, the actual line(s) of code whereby the token was defined, along with perhaps other nearby contextual references of the kind that would be highlighted by VAX were they all on the same visible portion of the edit window.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
foxmuldr Posted - Feb 04 2014 : 3:08:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

I appreciate how a faster IDE helps, but unless you are using a different compiler, VS2008 has a more modern, and probably more efficient compiler than VS2003, so you may see some benefits to the newer IDE.

For the type of development I do, performance isn't a major concern. I just want the code to work, and the gains in speed from edit-and-continue being faster are far more advantageous to me being productive. With VS2008 it sometimes takes 5 seconds to apply a code change. With VS2003 it is almost instantaneous. Even if the code runs slower, or is less efficient, the time I save in development is significant there. The only thing which makes it less efficient right now is the lack of a Code Definition Window. One thing that is nice though, is the continuous help file lookup in VS2003.

quote:
There is also the Hovering Class Browser in the bottom half of VA View:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W207

note you can right click into the HCB and turn on "Update with current scope" and "Update on position change" if you want.

Unfortunately we don't have any plans to duplicate the IDE's code definition window for earlier IDE's.

I'll check it out. Thank you.
feline Posted - Feb 03 2014 : 8:04:59 PM
I appreciate how a faster IDE helps, but unless you are using a different compiler, VS2008 has a more modern, and probably more efficient compiler than VS2003, so you may see some benefits to the newer IDE.

There is also the Hovering Class Browser in the bottom half of VA View:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W207

note you can right click into the HCB and turn on "Update with current scope" and "Update on position change" if you want.

Unfortunately we don't have any plans to duplicate the IDE's code definition window for earlier IDE's.
foxmuldr Posted - Feb 03 2014 : 09:38:18 AM
I was thinking if we could have the information displayed by VA when you hover over a token it its own tool window, along with the lines highlighted from nearby code, and possibly other find references (as it runs in a background thread and populates after a few seconds of inactivity, or a direct keypress or key combination).

The reason is I would like to use Visual Studio 2003 for everything. The reason I use Visual Studio 2008 is because of the Code Definition window. If a replacement could be created ... I would switch back. VS 2003 was much more lightweight and is much faster in general.
feline Posted - Dec 23 2013 : 1:01:05 PM
Have you looked at the VA context and definition fields? These are designed to show some of this information, and are updated as you move the caret through the code.

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W208
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W209

Also have you tried the IDE Code Definition Window, this was introduced in VS2010 I think:

IDE View menu -> Code Definition Window

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000