Definition field backslash vs forward slash option
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scooper

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  05:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Definition Field" in the VA Navigation Bar is very useful. But I often find myself needing to grab a path, or partial path, to a file from it.

This was even more urgent recently when the automatic include-header feature wasn't working properly. (This now works again, thank you).

But in any case I would very much like an option to have the path be displayed with forward slashes instead of backslashes.

Example from UE5 today:
quote:
\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\GameFramework\Character.h

I want to be able to see it as:
quote:
/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Classes/GameFramework/Character.h

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of asking a silly question, why? VA is showing the windows path separator. I am guessing you are working partly on a non Windows system? Or do you have another reason to need this?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Scooper

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the quick reply! I understand why you have chosen this as the default behavior, so that is not a problem.

However; I use it to manually include some files sometimes, which means it by default ends up going with backslashes instead of forward slashes in my include paths. I then need to go and manually change them to forward slashes.
This is what I was referring to about how it was a bigger problem with the include-header bug from the previous version. I had to do this all the time.

I'm not sure if all our target platforms/compilers support backslashes in the include path, but in any case it is part of our code standard to use forward slashes in the include paths.
This is why I'm requesting this feature to be able to configure it, so that my workflow can be improved slightly.
Maybe my way of using it is unorthodox, but I do find it extremely useful for this. It would save me some minor annoyance if I didn't have to manually fix it every time.

I hope that clears it up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  11:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense, and I can see why this would be helpful now. I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of this:

case=164446

Hopefully though Add Include works well enough most of the time, and you can set it to use / or \ via the IDE setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Use Forward Slash in #include Auto Complete

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Scooper

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  2:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Add include works in most cases, but I would appreciate if it becomes an option.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000