Support .esproj files in "Open File" Dialog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MMeurer

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  04:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

When using the Visual Assist - Open file dialog (ALT + Shift + O) the files from an esproj file in my solution do not appear.
Is there any way to include these files in the Open file dialog?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a .esproj file? How do you get one? Does it hold C++ or C# code files, or some other file types that VA should understand?

Can you send me a sample project of this type to run some tests on? If so please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MMeurer

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  08:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, .esproj files are JavaScript/TypeScript projects intended for standalone framework projects (e.g. Vue, Angular, React etc.).
They have been introduced in VS2022 as successor to the old Node.js projects (.njsproj files):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/javascript/javascript-in-visual-studio?view=vs-2022

You can create one for example by selecting the "Standalone Typescript Vue Project" template in VS2022
But I can also send a copy of this unchanged template project to the mail address.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  09:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the sample solution, many thanks for that:

case=150123

I have replied via email.

Edited by - feline on Oct 05 2023 10:36:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

MMeurer

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2024 :  03:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sadly i can't find the email anymore, but it seems that as of now, with VAssistX General Release Build 2024.2 (2515), the files inside the .esproj file are still not accessible through the 'Open file dialog'
Is there any setting that i need to activate in order for this to work or is it simply not yet added?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2024 :  07:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The email I sent was as follows:

Many thanks for the sample project, this gives me something to look at and experiment on.

If you open the .esproj file in a text editor you will find that there isn't any file list inside the project file. So in that sense there is nothing here to actually support. As far as I can see, Visual Studio is simply opening the directory tree.

Do you have any file types in your solution that VA understands and is active in? If I add a pair of cpp and .h files to the solution, then these files are being shown in VA's Open File dialog for me.

If you don't already know about it, you can turn on VA's limited support for other programming languages via this setting:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W326

this is causing VA to list .js files as well as C++ code files in its Open File dialog for me.

Go to Top of Page

MMeurer

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2024 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the quick reply.

The solution contains a lot of known filetypes, several c++ and c# projects, web projects etc. which all can be found without a problem.

I actually would expect Visual Assist to search within esproj files just like it does on web projects.

But as you can see here, it can not find the .ts (or .vue) files in the esproj Project ...

.. but works perfectly fine when searching for the files in the web project...

Edited by - MMeurer on Apr 17 2024 09:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2024 :  11:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a test solution you can send me that shows this behaviour, that I can study? If so please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Have you configured VA to be active in .ts files? This is not a file type I am really familiar with personally, so I am not sure what to expect from these files.

Go to Top of Page

MMeurer

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2024 :  01:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just sent an example solution to the email adress mentioned.

I have not explicitly configured VA to any filetype - but the problem does not seem to me to actually be depending on the content or the filetype.
It does not make a difference if there are .cpp, .h, .cs, .html or .ts files inside the project folder - they are all not detected (you can see this in the example i sent you)
I have also added a WPF project (.csproj) because it behaves more like the (.esproj) in the way that there are no explicit files mentioned in the project file, but instead it shows all files and folders next to it.

VAssistX works in this .csproj project and the web project for all files independend of their filetype but not in the .esproj project

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2024 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the sample project, thank you for this. I have replied via email:

case=164465

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic