New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  12:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sick to death (and have been for ever) that MS took a massive dump on their "Find in files" and "find" interfaces.

Used to be, the "Look in:" field did not change. You could do as many searches and re-searches until you found what you wanted at the scope you intended.

Since... I dunno - 2010 maybe? - the "look in:" context changes based on where your keyboard focus was most recently.

THIS IS AN INSANELY CRAPPY IDEA.

I have no idea how to override it and get the smarter, old behavior back.

Does anyone?

I have multiple embolisms per day when searching for things in VS 2013.

Search for something - find some results - click on one or two in the find results - nope, not what I needed - try another search term - BAM! it's changed the look-in to be "window" or "current document" or something equally asinine!@#$

I want someone to suffer at M$ for this.

But in the mean time - does anyone know of a registry hack or hidden setting somewhere to make my VS 2013 NOT TRY TO DOUBLE GUESS MY NEXT MOVE [STUPIDLY AND POORLY]?

Edited by - sean on Nov 23 2016 5:25:08 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  02:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by keyboard focus, but I also remember a change, something like this.

What I do is I use two different shortcuts: ctrl+F and ctrl+shift+F. I set the former to find in the current file while the latter to find in the whole solution. After that, any time I trigger the command, ctrl+F defaults to current file, and ctrl+shift+F defaults to whole solution.

I don't know if it helps and if you use both shortcuts or not. The fact that the two are saved differently was helpful for me. But maybe I missed the point and you're talking about something else
Go to Top of Page

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  12:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
accord - I use ctrl+f and ctrl+shift+f to get to find and find-in-files normally - though sometimes i just click on them (docked in a mini-frame).

"keyboard focus" - when your insertion point is in a document and you hit ^F - you get "find in current document". But if your focus is in the output window, you get "find in current window"
Similarly - with find-in-file the "find in" changes based on current insertion point (keyboard focus).

I don't want them to change. I want the behavior you describe:

^f = find in doc.
^F = find in files.

But that's not possible without scripting the IDE, I don't think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000