New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
382 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  2:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA's auto-complete has some nice features, but would it be possible for there to be a way to add a keystroke which allows us to search for some of the content in a token's definition, rather than the token name itself?

char something[]      = "123 thing";
char someotherthing[] = "456 thing";

k = some

At this point VA shows me two choices, "something" and "someotherthing" because they match the "some" I'ved typed in. But, suppose I couldn't remember the name, or find it in the list because the possible choices are larger than these, but I do know something in the text I want. In this case, I know I want the "456" item, but I don't know what it's called.

Would there be a way to use something like Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar to toggle between variable content searches and variable names, so that I could type "some" and have it showing me a list of candidate matches, I then press Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar and it toggles to variable content, searching all variable names that have "some" in them somewhere, with whatever I type after that also matching the string?

It could show up like:  some["456"]
                             +------------------------------------+
                             |char someotherthing[] = "456 thing";|
                             +------------------------------------+

Showing the name next to it, along with its definition line in the popup menu.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on May 16 2016 2:15:07 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  2:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting idea, but I think this is likely to get more confusing than helpful. I have put in a feature request to show the variable definition in the listbox tooltip. This way you can simply work through the listbox, reading the tooltips, to pick the variable you want. This also fixes the problem of only half remembering the definition, since if you are filtering on the wrong definition, you still won't get what you want, but won't get any clear feedback on why.

case=97227

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000