New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  12:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes when hovering over a function name, the little drop-down arrow to bring up the VA options does not appear. So far it seems to only happen to functions that are at the end of a class definition. See the image for an example.

Unfortunately it is not consistent. But, it does happen often enough to be annoying. I can still right-click on the name and to get the normal context menu.

I thought for a moment that the DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP macro may be influencing this, which is why it is in the example. But, I also deleted that line and it still did it. I then added another couple things and the problem went away. And even stayed away after removing the extra items.

This is frustrating in that I don't know exactly what's triggering it. But, I do see this fairly often.

Using VS2010 and VAX 10.9.2052.0

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  7:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you are seeing this, what sort of frequency does this problem have? Half the time? More or less than half the time?

Are you normally trying this with the caret in the function name? The screen shots show this. When you next see this can you please try placing the caret into the function name and press Alt-Shift-Q, the keyboard shortcut to open the refactoring context menu.

Very occasionally, perhaps 1 time in 20, the hovering icon does not show for me. That mainly seems to be caused by not hovering the mouse quite right over the function. This effect is happening for me on both functions in the sample code. So I am wondering if this is at all similar to what you are seeing.

Alternatively if this is somehow a parser problem, then the problem should effect triggering with the keyboard shortcut as well.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure of the frequency. I just notice it when it does, but it is fairly often. For example, just now I opened a project, went to a function that was a likely candidate and sure enough it occurred. Moved the cursor to a function further up. It worked as expected. Moved the cursor back to the offending function. Same problem.

At first I'll simply hover over it. Then I'll try placing the caret on it. No difference. Alt-Shift-Q brings up a context menu that appears to be a small version of the refactor menu. I'm guessing that's expected.

When it does occur on a function declaration, it continues to occur on the same function. Closing the file and reopening it can fix it, though.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  5:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The refactoring context menu should list only the refactoring commands that are applicable to the current symbol, so just the commands that make sense on this function, which is why it is a short list.

You should get the same menu, the same commands offered when you open the hovering triangle icon and press Alt-Shift-Q.

The fact that keyboard shortcut works well us this is not a parser problem, which is good to know, but does not explain what is going wrong here.

Can you please show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor. Now when you hover the mouse over one of the functions, is the bottom half of VA View being updated correctly?

If a different class is showing, the current class should be shown, and the function you are hovering over should be highlighted in VA View. So moving between two functions in your class, the current highlighted function in VA View should change. I am trying to find out if VA is correctly picking up the mouse hover, so it is just a problem displaying the reactoring menu icon, or if the mouse hover is not being picked up at all.

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  1:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no change in VA View when the hover icon is missing. When it works VA view updates as expected. The tool tip that is shown, that is from Intellisense, correct?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  7:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I cannot tell if those are IDE or VA tooltips. Can you please try turning On:

VA Options -> Display -> use tomato icons in listboxes and tooltips to mark Visual Assist content

this should help to distinguish the two sources of tooltips and listboxes. Given that VA View is not updating then I am going to guess that these are IDE tooltips, since it seems VA has no idea about the problem mouse hover events. This is unexpected, but interesting news.

Do you use the IDE outlining feature, that collapses blocks of code in the editor? The commands are under the IDE Edit menu -> Outlining

Are you working on a multiple monitor system, or working with a single monitor?

Is the IDE maximised, or a smaller window?

If you look at:

IDE tools menu -> Extension Manager...

and the list of installed extensions, do you have anything other than Visual Assist listed?

I am searching for any clues to help explain why VA might be having problems with the mouse hover some of the time.

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  7:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Use tomato icons option is already checked.

I don't use the outlining feature. But, if you mean the collapsible icons on the left, then they are there, but I never collapse anything. It is always expanded.

It is a multiple monitor system.

The IDE is maximized. I also usually have multiple copies running (usually 2 or 3).

There are 3 extensions listed:
PHP Tools for Visual Studio 2010
SourceLinks
Visual Assist

I forgot when I installed PHP tools. But, I'm fairly sure I've seen this problem before installing it. I can uninstall this one as I don't actually use it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  8:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of uninstalling PHP tools you can simply disable this extension in the Extension manager. Then it is readily available if / when you need it again. It would be nice to rule this out as a factor.

Fingers crossed we can ignore SourceLinks as a cause

The collapsing icons were a long shot, since your screen shot shows a short class, but worth asking just in case.

Multiple IDEs... have you ever noticed any form of pattern here? For example, the problem mostly happens on the third IDE, rather than the first IDE loaded? This should not happen, but this whole problem should not happen.

Do you normally keep the IDE on the same screen? Does moving the IDE to another monitor have any effect?

Are you using any software to help manage the multiple monitors?

How about docked, auto hide windows at the bottom of the IDE? Do you have any that would cover the bottom function but not the top function if they were open?

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lose track of which one was the first or third loaded, so I'm not sure. I don't think it makes a difference, though.

The IDEs may or may not be on the same screen. Moving to another monitor did not make a difference.

The only pattern I've noticed (and I'm sure how consistent it is), is that generally it happens on functions towards the end of the class. It does seem to always be in a separate group. I mean where a group is a section separated by protected/private/public - like in the example, for instance. It seems to do the same thing for all functions in that group. It's not always the last group, but I'm more likely to see it there.

I don't have auto hidden windows at the bottom of the IDE. There is only the "Toolbox" auto-hidden on the right side. The bottom has the usual docked windows - output, find results, VA Find References, Breakpoints.
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can add this to the mix. I just had to reboot my computer. Launched VS2010, opened a project, checked a file that exhibited this behavior before, and sure enough there it was. So, that's with just one copy of visual studio running.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  3:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The group pattern suggests something related to the code, like a parsing problem. But the fact that the keyboard shortcut Alt-Shift-Q works suggests otherwise.

Closing the file or changing files can encourage VA to reparse the file...

OK, can you please look and see if you have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

turned On or Off. If this is turned Off please turn it On. Occasionally I have seen mixed line endings in a file cause odd problems. So it would be good to rule this out.

Next time you see this happen, can you please try the command:

IDE menu VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

and see if this has any effect?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  3:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information about the reboot. I have been wondering if some form of resource leak could be the problem. Its a long shot, but it would explain why icons are not being drawn. But a reboot and a single IDE loaded do a good job of ruling out that nasty possibility.

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  12:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check for consistent line endings is on.

Here's another inconsistency. I just checked a header file for this issue. The last two function declarations are in their own "public" group. The first function worked as expected, while the second one exhibited this issue. The last two lines are next to each other and look like this:

public:
afx_msg void OnDrawItem(int nIDCtl, LPDRAWITEMSTRUCT lpDrawItemStruct);
afx_msg void OnTimer(UINT_PTR nIDEvent);

The icon showed for OnDrawItem, but did not for OnTimer.

Even stranger now is that this time it did change in VA view when hovering over OnTimer. That wasn't the case before.

"Reparse Current File" had no effect.

This is an annoying thing, isn't it?

Edited by - GKarRacer on May 21 2015 12:33:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  1:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually found a way to consistently reproduce this (at least for now and on this particular machine). I hadn't realized it before, but I just noticed that it only does this when the line is near the bottom of the window. I had thought that it was related to the position in the class. It's actually related to the position in the window.

If the hovered line is near the bottom, the icon does not appear. If it is earlier, it does. Depending on the size of the window there is some variant to how many lines will cause this problem. It seems that the larger the window, the more lines at the bottom exhibit this. In the following two pictures, I'm hovering over the same function line, but in the one that works the text is scrolled one line higher.

This is still a really strange thing. I tried this on another machine and it didn't do it. I'm not sure what's different about this one.

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  1:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK just checked. The other machine that works is actually on the latest version - 2062, while I'm still on 2052. I'll upgrade soon to the latest and see if it makes a difference. Before that I'm curious if you see anything similar on version 2052. With luck it's a problem that was fixed without even realizing it.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  8:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try upgrading first? It would save us time testing something that might have already been fixed.
Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2015 :  01:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you use a scaled environment?

If you had applied some DPI scaling in Windows (for example 125%), then VA had problems to calculate point coordinates from column/line coordinates.

In upcoming release it would hopefully be fixed as a
side effect of another case (if it is caused by that).
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2015 :  4:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a thought. I forgot about that. It is scaled to 110%. Perhaps the version has nothing to do with it then.
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2015 :  5:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I upgraded to the latest version of VA. It still exhibits this behavior. I then switched my font scaling to the default 100% (man is that tiny on this display). The problem is still there, but it is limited to the very last line in the window. Even one line up and the problem goes away. Scaling does effect it as more lines will exhibit the behavior, but it is not limited to scaling.

With this information in mind I went back to the other system that I tried this on where it didn't appear to be a problem. Now that I know what to look for, it was easy to reproduce. It also occurred on this system, but only on the very last line. Scaling must be at 100%. His monitors are smaller.
Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2015 :  03:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able (partially) to reproduce the issue.

Could you please confirm, that in 100% scale the dropdown does not show only in case, when the last line is not fully visible?
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2015 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to reproduce the problem even with the last line fully visible. Of course, it's technically possible there was a pixel or two of the line missing, but all the text was visible. Only the last line had this issue. One line up and the problem went away. On my rather large resolution at 110% scale it does it for the last 5 lines. If I shrink the VS window down considerably, it still does it at least for one line.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000