Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  6:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've solved the editor slowdown!!! It had to do with the HAL only recognizing 1 CPU and all of the threads trying to run on that CPU. I went through the instructions on this page and now it recognizes more than one CPU. When I did the pasting of the 25,000 + source code lines, there was no slowdown at all.

http://www.storagecraft.com/support/forum/only-1-processor-showing-task-manager

-------------------
This is a Windows Server 2003 solution. The short version of the solution is here:
Download devcon.exe from:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

Run it, which unzips and creates an i386\\devcon.exe file. That's the reference below.

-------------------
(1) Create a batch file and run the commands below.
Make sure there are no errors reported.
(2) Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware ->
Device Manager -> expand Computer and click
"Update Driver". Specify that you will indicate
the location, and select the Multi ACPI driver.
(3) Reboot.

-------------------
SET HAL=ACPIAPIC_MP
i386\\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\\PCI_HAL\\0000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
i386\\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\\ACPI_HAL\\0000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
i386\\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\\PCI_HAL\\0000 := +%HAL%
i386\\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\\ACPI_HAL\\0000 := +%HAL%
i386\\devcon.exe update %windir%\\inf\\hal.inf %HAL%
i386\\devcon.exe ReScan

Edited by - foxmuldr on Aug 28 2014 11:21:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  6:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
However... it still did not fix the debugger slowdown.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  7:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad you have found a solution to the first problem. For the debugger, it may well be worth trying process explorer, and looking at the system usage information, to see if this throws any light on the situation.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  04:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been sick. I haven't forgotten. I downloaded Process Monitor 16.something. It shows 4 cpus now (I upped it) and limited memory and cpu use. I will get to the video when I am feeling better. Please bear with me. :-) Gracias.
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did about 1.5 hours worth of nonstop editing last night on a 4,000 line source file. From time to time after the first 30 minutes or so it would become as slow as it ever has. I brought up task manager after the 5th or 6th time and it showed one CPU fully pegged in red coloring. The other three were very near idle. This would continue for 10 to 15 seconds, then it would revert to normal processing for a seemingly random period of time.

I've never seen that behavior before. It's always just gotten slower and slower. I have observed that on that laptop ever since I got my new router from time to time in the native Linux, and on other machines running native Windows 7 and Linux, they seem to do that from time to time -- almost freeze, but not exactly. Makes me wonder what's going on there under the hood with that new router.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try running Process Explorer. Once it is loaded, right click on the column headers and use "Select Columns", and then go to the Process Performance tab, and turn on "CPU History". This will help identify which processes are using all of the CPU time when you get a slow down like this.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  8:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did download Process Explorer ... even back the first time you suggested it. :-) I've run it several times. I hadn't seen any advantages in what it shows over task manager until your post above. It shows what Task Manager reports: When the slowdowns occur, the devenv.exe process is pegged at around 25% (with four CPUs allocated to the VM, that 25% means one CPU running at 100% utilization). It peaks on the graph for the duration of the slowdown, and then returns. Turning off VAX seems to make no difference, or possibly a small difference. It seems to be a VS thing related to having the large files open.

I have seen the slowdown effect now on two different machines running two different VMs on two different versions of Linux Mint (one LM 16, the other LM 17). It occurs when I'm doing editing for more than a few minutes on this file (I've been working on the block around line 1500 for the past several days, and I've had four files open):

Main work file: https://github.com/RickCHodgin/libsf/blob/master/source/vjr/object_accessors.h
File 2: https://github.com/RickCHodgin/libsf/blob/master/source/vjr/object_accessors.cpp
File 3: https://github.com/RickCHodgin/libsf/blob/master/source/vjr/vjr_const.h
File 4: https://github.com/RickCHodgin/libsf/blob/master/source/vjr/compiler_const.h
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2014 :  2:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then its worth considering turning Off:

VA Options -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

and if you can work like this successfully, disabling the IDE intellisense, to see if this makes any difference.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point in both cases I'm not going to worry about it. The performance degradation is a daily issue for me ... but it's not a big issue, and certainly not enough to spend time tracking it down like this. I'd lose more time tracking it down at this point than just living with it.

I'm not sure why I see it in the VM only, and not on OS versions running natively on the CPU. It seems odd, but the other advantages from running VMs far and away exceed the losses. In fact, I would say this is the only loss I have thus far ... and with me working on developing my own IDE and C/C++ compiler, it's not one that will be with me for long (Lord willing). :-)

Thank you for your assistance and patience, feline. If you all ever have a Whole Tomato meetup somewhere... I'd like to attend (with my American accent and all, y'all). :-)

Edited by - foxmuldr on Sep 02 2014 06:35:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2023 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I later found the issue. It's due to maintaining a history of navigation and/or an undo history. I'm guessing it's using a root element and a one-way linked-list to add the new items, traversing the entire list to add the new entry, which is why it increasingly slows down.

The workaround is to periodically close the file and re-open it.

I have observed this in VS 2003, 2005, and 2008.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2023 :  12:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At a wild guess, sounds like something that got "fixed" in newer versions of Visual Studio, but I don't remember running into this back when I worked full time in these versions of Visual Studio. Thankfully you have a work around, even if it isn't something that should need to be done.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2023 :  10:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a very fast typist and it doesn't happen right away. But if you're working in Visual Studio for a few hours you'll see the effect accumulate over time. Also, if you're working in a Virtual Machine you'll see the effects more quickly. Takes at least 30 minutes of development for it be noticeable, and well over an hour before it is an issue.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000