Visual Studio 2012 slow solution loading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

christian

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  04:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a solution with around 1000 projects. Visual Studio does take a while to load it, but it's all asynchronous and I get to work pretty quickly. However, with Visual Assist installed I sometimes get a message box with header "Visual Assist X" and message "Reading solution projects..." which sits there for 5-10 minutes. It's in the foreground, blocking everything..

I assume this is where Visual Assist is loading information about all the files in the solution, but I don't understand why it would be so incredibly slow or why it needs to be in the foreground. Is there a work around for this or some known way to improve it?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  11:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many files do you have in your solution?

Once the solution is properly loaded, please open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

I don't recall anyone reporting 1000 projects before, I have seen over 100, but that is fairly rare.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  11:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mail sent via WT support
Go to Top of Page

christian

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  1:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's about 17000 files in the solution (as per the VAX open file dialog).

Since my post I have installed and moved my code and build files over to a faster disk, and not seen the incredibly long pause (although it still pauses for some time). However, I'm not sure if it's a first load only problem.

I've also received an email from Sean with some unreleased improvements to test. I will be away from work for a week, but will endeavour to test this all more thoroughly when I return.

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  3:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, I have just loaded a solution with 25,000 files in VS2012, and I am not seeing any such message box here. The solution only has 2 projects though, so the number of projects, rather than the number of files may be the factor.

Hopefully Sean's suggestions will fix this for you.

Go to Top of Page

fun4jimmy

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  04:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of solutions with 400-500 projects and I get the same problem. There is a blocking dialog popped up by visual assist that says "Reading solution projects..." which makes visual studio unusable for 5 minutes or more.

Is there any plan to make this work happen on a background thread and only block if visual assist is invoked? I think I'm going to have to disable visual assist otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  12:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've moved as much as we can to a background thread. When that blocking dialog appears, the work that is being done is only supported by Visual Studio on the UI thread (interrogating solution for list of projects and the files in them). All parsing happens on background threads.

That said, we'd be interested in getting a va.log of the the load to see if there are any other issues slowing down the load. Please capture a log ( http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305 ) of the solution load and send it in using the contact form at http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp and reference TOPIC_ID=10892. Make sure to enable logging before opening the solution (use File | Close Solution then File | Recent Projects and Solutions if necessary).
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  8:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
continuing via support case=73930
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  5:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to respond just to add my name to the list of people annoyed by this :(
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  10:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In build 1946, we added a checkbox to the VA Options dialog on the Projects | File Handling page for the slowdown that fun4jimmy was experiencing. Uncheck "Enumerate project references thoroughly" and see if that has any effect on the annoyance that you are experiencing when loading large solutions (if they consist solely of native projects - see tooltip on the setting).
Go to Top of Page

Alex.Bof

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  06:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same for me. Need to wait minimum 10 minutes upon any change to the project file (which is quite often).
Number of projects = 48, number of files = 4831.
Disabling "Enumerate project references thoroughly" didn't help.
No problems with the ReSharper which is installed in parallel to Visual Assist, even though 90% of projects are C#.
VA_X.dll file version 10.8.2029.0 built 2014.02.24.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the problem, VA should never be this slow on a solution of this size. Are you seeing this problem every time you load the solution, or just occasionally?

Is your solution on your local machine, or is it being opened from some form of network or mapped drive?

If you are seeing this problem every time you open the solution, can you please try disabling ReSharper in the IDE extension manager and restarting the IDE. Does this make any difference? I am wondering if both VA and ReSharper parsing the solution at the same time might be a factor.

Go to Top of Page

Alex.Bof

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  03:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It happens only when I unload/reload a project.
Disabling/enabling of "Enumerate project references thoroughly" doesn't have any effect as well as suspending/resuming of resharper.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  12:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, I am not sure what is causing this problem.

Are you seeing a lot of status bar messages flashing by, telling you that VA is parsing files or stable include directories when you have this problem?

Can you please load Windows Task Manager and see if you are getting a high CPU usage on one core, and if this is from "devenv.exe", the IDE. A lot of parsing would explain why things are slow, but this parsing should happen when you load the solution on first loading the IDE, as well as when you unload and reload a project.

When you unload / reload, are you unloading and reloading the same project, or are you loading a separate project? If you are changing projects, is the project you are unloading a small one or a large one?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000