Feature Requests
 Enhancements for HCB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atila

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  04:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like switching between mouse and keyboard while coding. And, the only way that I know to update the HCB is by using a mouse. So, would it be possible to update the HCB when a class/method/variable name is highlighted/selected from a keyboard.

Also, instead of popping-up new dialogs and closing some parts of the code, would be possible to use the existing drop-down menus in VA View for "Find files in Solution"(Alt+Shift+O) and Find Symbols in Solution(Alt+Shift+S).

Regards,
Atila

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  1:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you right click in the HCB, the bottom half of VA View, and turn on "Update with current scope" in the context menu, then the HCB will update as you move the caret through the code.

For keyboard access to the Files and Symbols lists in VA View, you can use the IDE options -> keyboard settings to bind keyboard shortcuts to the two commands:

VAssistX.VAViewFIS
VAssistX.VAViewSIS

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

atila

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  1:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answers. Yeah, in HCB that option is ON already. Let me clarify abit. When i hover over a variable with my mouse, i can get abit more information about it(e.g. see its' internal structure in VA View) However, when i just move the caret on a variable i cannot see anything about it. Please let me know if theres any other solution.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately there is no current method for doing this with the keyboard, but we are considering adding a command / feature to do this:

case=10133

Go to Top of Page

atila

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  5:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great then. I'm looking forward to see that feature. So, when do you think that command / feature would be included in VA?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  2:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no estimate yet.

For a purely keyboard focussed answer you could use Alt-G to jump to the item of interest, and then Alt-Left Arrow to return to the start point, letting you read the details in the code its self. I know it is not the same, but perhaps this will help a bit.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000