New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  9:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently, when I start filling out a call to say, ReadFile, I get a tip like this:

WINBASEAPI BOOL WINAPI ReadFile( __in HANDLE hFile,
    __out_bcount_part_opt(nNumberOfBytesToRead, *lpNumberOfBytesRead) __out_data_source(FILE) LPVOID lpBuffer,
    __in        DWORD nNumberOfBytesToRead,
    __out_opt   LPDWORD lpNumberOfBytesRead,
    __inout_opt LPOVERLAPPED lpOverlapped
    );

... is there any way that you could give me the option to cull the static analysis markup so that I get something more like this?

WINBASEAPI BOOL WINAPI ReadFile( HANDLE hFile, LPVOID lpBuffer, DWORD nNumberOfBytesToRead, LPDWORD lpNumberOfBytesRead, LPOVERLAPPED lpOverlapped);

... or otherwise reformat it? For example, for optional parameters it might be cool to see this:

WINBASEAPI BOOL WINAPI ReadFile( HANDLE hFile, LPVOID lpBuffer, DWORD nNumberOfBytesToRead, LPDWORD lpNumberOfBytesRead, LPOVERLAPPED lpOverlapped);

Additionally, any kind of support you could add for adding those markup strings would also be awesome.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  4:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't have any current plans to do this, but I do see the appeal.

My main concern here is how do we define what to exclude and what to include? To start with a simple case, what about "const"? You can add "const" twice to a single parameter, but I would consider that important to see in the tooltip.

With some of the more "creative" code I see sometimes it is difficult for our parser to tell where one parameter stops and the next one starts. People often define their own macro's and use them in function declarations, so we would not know if we should include or exclude them.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  6:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the most logical way would be to allow the user to define macros to not show.

Parse them like regular macro definitions, and just eliminate them if they show up.

That way it's future proof.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000