1646: Ever-increasing memory usage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  11:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VA my Visual Studio memory usage just keeps increasing, from about 60M on opening. Eventually it reaches about 1.5-1.7G and the whole thing just hangs.

There are two separate failure modes: under normal use it will increase steadily and reach a hang after in the region of 2-4 hours. Sometimes, it just grabs all the memory it can on startup (or when I open the first source file) and crashes in a matter of seconds. I think the latter only occurs when the cache file has been corrupted (as a result of killing Visual Studio from the Task Manager when the first case arises) but I'm reporting it as well just in case.

I'm on 10.4.1646.0 (just downloaded), but I had the same issue with 1640 as well. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Version 8.0.50727.867 (vsvista.050727-8600) on Vista. No other plugins installed. Several of my colleagues are running VA on the same solution files. I think I may be the only one on Vista though.

A mostly-reliable failure case is as follows: place cursor over a function name in a header file. Type a single letter, which brings the "Rename references" menu up. Delete the letter again, and click somewhere else in the file to remove the menu. This will normally cause the memory usage to have increased by between 100 and 200k (the figure varies). It's difficult to prove, but empirically the amount of memory increase seems to be roughly proportional to the amount of typing I'm doing in the source.

I turned logging on, and there's a behaviour change between 1640 and 1646. In 1640, almost every line was

ReadToCls (1): ReadTo MaxLen exceeded [] (where [] = a symbol or some text in our source code)

In 1646, almost every line is

ReadToCls (1): Brace Mismatch > [] (again [] = a symbol in our source).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The memory usage growing over a couple of hours to 1.5gig sounds familiar. I have seen reports of this before, normally linked to a corrupt VA symbol database. This bothers me, since VA 1646 contains fixes to try and prevent such problems.

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

Which programming language are you working in? Or are you working in a mix of languages?

Do you normally work with more than one IDE open at once?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Can you please go to:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1646.0 built 2008.07.18
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (Non-renewable license) Support ends 2008.12.04
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867
Font: Consolas 9(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6001.18000
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
4 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

quote:

How many files do you have in your solution?

Which programming language are you working in? Or are you working in a mix of languages?

Do you normally work with more than one IDE open at once?

The biggest one (which I did the above tests on) is 1526 files - I've had the same problem on smaller ones (around 1200 files) too, C++ only, and normally just one copy of Visual Studio open. (Having two open at the same time tends to provoke the same problems but very much faster, so I've been avoiding doing that.)

Thanks for the quick response.

Colin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good sized solution, but it is not that large.

Is this solution on a local windows drive, or is it stored on some form of network drive?
Does the code use a lot of macro's?

I am wondering if our parser is having problems with your code. Until you run out of memory are you seeing any odd problems? A lot of symbols underlined as mistyped symbols for example, or invalid listbox content?

Can you try closing all IDE's and then deleting the directory:

C:\\Users\\ USERNAME \\AppData\\Local\\VisualAssist\
and all sub-directories, and also delete the NCB file from the base directory of your solution. Does this make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  6:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you see texts like "VAX: Parsing <path>\\<Filename>" flashing in your status bar continuously even after you stop typing?
This is normal for the first time, but it should finish after a few minutes.

If you see something similar then cleaning your symbol cache and rebuild your symbol database should help:

VA Options -> Performance -> Clear history, cache and temporary files
VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

Update: Cross-posting Feline's tip should also help.

Edited by - accord on Jul 22 2008 6:27:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  05:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried both approaches but the failure case is still behaving in the same way. Sorry.

The solution's completely on my local machine, and our code has relatively few macros. And yes, in the second failure mode, it usually flashes up lots of those VAX: Parsing messages, repeating the same few files most of the time as far as I can see.

I'm getting the occasional mis-underline, but nothing large-scale or out of the ordinary. (Normally things like if you have a typo in a variable name causing an underline a few lines down, fixing the typo doesn't always clear the underline immediately, that kind of thing.)

In terms of the parser causing problems, it's worth noting that some of my colleagues are using VA on the same codebase without problems.

Edited by - ColinBell on Jul 23 2008 05:47:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any obvious differences between your machine and your colleagues machine? Anything to give us a clue?

Can you please send me the log files you have that show this problem, hopefully they will offer some clues.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my colleagues is on holiday tomorrow so I'll borrow his machine and do some comparative tests.
Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  06:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the delay on this. I've now had a chance to investigate, and his machine shows the same behaviour. He wasn't tending to keep the same Visual Studio open for long enough to cause the problems to be obvious.

I've uploaded two log files, one for his machine (XP, build 1640), one for mine (Vista, build 1646). Hopefully it'll suggest something.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the log files, thank you for these:

case=18826

I have asked our developers of they have any ideas.

What anti-virus software are you using? Are you able to disable it, or to at least exclude the source code and VA symbol database from being scanned and see if this makes any difference? Very occasionally anti-virus programs have caused problems for VA, so this might be a factor.

Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Kaspersky (6.0.3.830 on my machine). Disabling it doesn't seem to have affected anything. (For clarity: I selected "pause protection" and also put C:\\Users\\ USERNAME \\AppData\\Local\\VisualAssist\\ into the "trusted" list, cleaned out the .NCB file and that directory as per your instructions above, restarted Visual Studio and I still get the same problem.)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  2:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that is fairly conclusive. Are there any other running processes that might be interfering with VA or the IDE? This seems unlikely, but it is worth asking.

Are you using any 3rd party libraries, e.g. Boost or Qt in your solution? Or is it all your own code?

I am not seeing any sign of other libraries in your stable include directories list, but they might be referenced via:

Project properties -> C/C++ -> General -> Additional Include Directories

At this point VA is probably confused by the code it is scanning. We have had some bug reports concerning some of the very template heavy part of Boost, and some other libraries, so this could be a factor.

Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  04:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had similar problems with VS08. After investigating the problem i figured out several problems:
* too old VCS of ClearCase -> Updated
* Developer Express DXCore always wants to parse some code -> Removed
* Refactor! does also some unnecessary parsing stuff -> Removed
* And also removed Dark GDK (don't really need it yet)
* VS itself -> wait for SP1 or one of the following SPs

Remove all unneeded addins and try to attach to your running VS with another instance of VS and break it when memory usage increases or CPU is in use. Watch the call stack to see which parts of the IDE is consuming your memory and CPU. Additionally you can check out any hot-fixes or service packs.

Actually looks like i can work with VS08
Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feline: It doesn't appear to be our code: I have the same problem with a minimal test case (create new Windows Console application in Visual Studio, then adding and deleting random characters to the function names in the boilerplate code still leaks memory). I can't see anything unusual I'm running that might interfere either. I'll upload the project file and a screenshot of the process list for you to look at in case.

However, the problem is something to do with Visual Assist - I tried uninstalling it and the memory increase problem went away.

Edited by - ColinBell on Jul 31 2008 06:17:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All right, lets go back to basics.

In your first post you said that editing a function name, to show the VA rename suggestion listbox, increases memory usage by 100k to 200k. Do you see the same sort of memory increase in the default test project you just sent me? If so, what *exactly* are you doing, and how big is the jump in memory usage?

Do you actually mean 100k? Loading my main test solution in VS2005 (over 700 files, mostly very small) and the IDE is only using 118,000 K of memory.

It would take a LOT of 100k jumps before the IDE hit 1.5gig of memory.

If you organise your system so you can see both the IDE and the memory usage for the IDE at the same time can you watch the memory usage as you type. Is the memory leak tied to the suggestion listbox appearing? Being accepted? Something else?

Since the problem is not tied to the solution you are working it, it must be related to something else.

I am wondering if the rename suggestion listbox appearing is "causing" your memory leak. I don't think the VA listbox on its own is causing this problem, but it might be doing so due to an interaction with something else on your system. I am thinking back to this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5473

where the process "wisptis.exe" was leaking GDI objects, which caused a problem to show up in the IDE with VA tooltips. I am also thinking of problems we have seen with WindowBlinds and our listboxes. None of this seems to exactly fit your experience, but something must be causing this problem.

Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bearing with me...

Here's some examples of "editing a function name".

Load the testVA solution (same one I sent you): memory usage 36764k.
Click the cursor after the t of tmain: memory now 36820
Hit "f". Suggestion box appears: (36940)
Click first suggestion (_tfdopen) (still 36940)
Hit return to accept suggestion (37056)
Repeat last four steps in order (38820): code now reads _tfdopenfdopen
Go to end of this function name, hit backspace 12 times, type "main" to restore code to original (38872)
Cursor to after t, hit f, suggestion box appears, hit backspace, click somewhere else to get rid of suggestion box (38936)
Same again, twice (39008, then 39056).
Cursor to after t, hit f and delete it ten times (leaving suggestion box there): gains 620k overall.

But in fact it seems to be _any_ edit that causes the problem. Typing 6-10 random characters (anywhere in the file), waiting a couple of seconds then deleting them again will gain anything from 60-200k. In fact, it looks like any time I change the code at all, VS is likely to gain memory, although the amount seems to vary quite considerably, even on the same operation. So although the individual gains are small, if I'm getting one on a decent proportion of keystrokes, they're going to add up.

I had a look at the other thread: devenv.exe has about 670 GDI objects, but the number doesn't vary by more than a handful doing the above operations, and ends up with two fewer. There's nothing with an inordinate number (IE has 852, MSNMSGR 504, nothing else over 300) or an obvious leak.

The only obvious unusual things the two machines share is the same model of graphics card (and perhaps drivers - I haven't checked yet) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with a dual monitor setup and both are running Hansoft (project management software), although disabling the latter doesn't seem to have affected anything. I don't think anything else we're running is particularly out of the ordinary.

Hoping something in all that proves helpful...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  5:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Sean is talking to you about this via email, but just to put some perspective on this, I have VS2005 with VA 1647 running under winXP.

I have loaded my main test solution and run a 10 minute block of automated tests on the IDE. This types into the IDE, triggering and using listboxes as fast as it can for the entire time. So quite a lot of typing.

After the first run the IDE was using 156,512 K of memory.

I then ran the 10 minute block of tests a second time, and it is now reporting 157,184 K of memory.

I am using Process Explorer to track this. More interestingly, properties on the process report that the peak memory usage was 159,972, which is basically the same number I saw after the first 10 minute block of tests.

So considering the peak value, there is no sign of an increase in memory usage after 10 minutes of solid activity.

If I close and re-load VS2005 and this solution the IDE's memory usage drops to 118,140 K.

So while the IDE has put on maybe 40,000 K in memory in half an hour, it did that quite quickly and then memory usage stopped growing.

Instead, somehow, your memory usage is hitting 2 gig in a couple of hours. Does your IDE's memory usage grow slowly, but constantly, or does it grow by massive amounts?

Go to Top of Page

ColinBell

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  05:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That operation is the way I've found to get the memory to grow as fast as possible. I've just done a 90 second run and the process grew from 35M to 316M. In this case, the memory grows roughly exponentially - a single type and delete gains me around 100k at the start, multiple megs at the end. However, if I then stop and wait for a few seconds, the gain goes back to 100k. But when I start up again, the memory gain increases to the multiple megs stage much faster than before.

From what Sean has told me, I should expect the amount of memory used to increase in the short term but be freed up after a couple of minutes, which would fit what you're seeing. In my case, there's no evidence that any memory ever gets freed.

Go to Top of Page

pigo

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  07:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

we have the same problem that VA1647 used with VC6 uses memory up to Win XP does only swapping. Simply by by editing the memory usage of msdev.exe increases. The only thing we can say is that editing template objects seem to be one reason triggering this memory eat up process.

When we exit msdev.exe the workspace is closing but the msdev.exe process is still running with 50% CPU usage (dual core). Only killing with task manager stops msdev.exe. We have waited up to 30 minutes cpu time.

Our workspace is about 300.000 Lines of code in about 2000 objects

In the moment we have to work with disabled VA

Dr. Ing. Michael Gierth

Dr. Gierth Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH
Annastr 17
D-52062 Aachen
Tel: +49/241/4016464
Fax: +49/241/4016466

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  09:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pigo how much memory does the IDE use, and how long does it take for the IDE to use a very large amount of memory?

Can you try pressing the button:

and restarting your IDE. Does this make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

pigo

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We restarted the IDE after deleting all Files in "C:\\Dokumente und Einstellungen\\pigo\\Lokale Einstellungen\\Anwendungsdaten\\VisualAssist" (I don't know the exact translation of this directory in an english version maybe something like "c:\\documents and settings\\pigo\\local settings\\application data\\VisualAssist"

Doing so we have a couple of time no constantly running increasing memory usage, but it starts again during normal programming and debugging work. Up to know we cannot say how to trigger the memory eat up behaviour. As I mentioned before sometimes it seems to be when we edit one of our basic template objects which are used for couple of types ( ~ 100 ). Another VA function we used often was renaming of symbols.

Another effect I just figured out is increasing memory usage simply by clicking into different source code windows. In the moment I have 6 sourcecode windows open on 6 different screens. 3 .h and 3 .cpp files. Every time I give the focus to a another source code window of these 6 open windows the memory usage increases by ~150kb. When I'm doing nothing memory usage is constant.

A typical memory usage of msdev.exe at startup is about 20MB. In my actually running msdev.exe I have 53MB after 18:57 CPU Time

Dr. Ing. Michael Gierth

Dr. Gierth Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH
Annastr 17
D-52062 Aachen
Tel: +49/241/4016464
Fax: +49/241/4016466

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  11:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would expect the memory used by VC6 to grow slowly as you use the IDE, but it should not grow to far. 53meg does not worry me.

Does the memory used by VC6 keep on growing endlessly, or is there a limit?

If the memory keeps on growing then after a few hours you may reach 2gig of memory and the IDE could crash. However if the memory will only grow so far, and then stops growing then this may be normal behaviour.

Go to Top of Page

pigo

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  03:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yust another behaviour:

Startup of VC6 IDE, memory directly grows up to 150 MB and stays there, slow IDE response, IDE mainframe menus lost, IDE exit not possible (stop with task manager)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had these problems with older versions of VA? I am wondering if this is a new problem, or if you have always had it.

Does rebuilding VA's symbol database make any difference to these problems?

Can you please go to:

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Go to Top of Page

pigo

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Feline,

rebuild symbol databases helps or deleting everything "c:\\documents and settings\\pigo\\local settings\\application data\\VisualAssist".

I think these problens started with VA1640 but VA1647 is much more sensitive.

System Info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1647.0 built 2008.07.30
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2008.10.09
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.1
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier New 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.5512
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3
2 processors

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
E:\\MICROSOFT PLATFORM SDK\\INCLUDE;
E:\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
E:\\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
S:\\MFC4_0_VC6_0\\SRC;
s:\\MFC4_0_VC6_0\\INCLUDE;
E:\\MICROSOFT PLATFORM SDK\\SRC;
E:\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Yust in the moment I have another behaviour:
I recognised the increasing memory usage situation and exited msdev.exe. All windows dissappear but msdev.exe stays in memory but stops increasing memory at 224MB and 0% CPU-usage. msdev.exe was killed with task manager. Restarting msdev with same workspace (nothing done else) leads directly in the increasing memory usage situation with 50% CPU load. After 6:00 minutes CPU Time there is 440 MB M-usage, 7:00 = 500MB, 8:00 540MB, 5:00 570MB, 10:00 580MB and then stabilises between 560MB and 590MB at 50% CPU load. At abount 14:00 CPU time memory increases over 600 MB at 50% CPU load and on. I than had to stop because Windows slows down.

I looked in the errors.log file of va an found following:

GTFD exception : too much 'DRG_INLINE s_1Dim_BasicBuffer
:2750 8/14/2008 17:18:40 0xf34
Exception: BCF::GBCL exception caught : GTFD exception : too much 'DRG_INLINE s_1Dim_Bas
:357 8/14/2008 17:18:40 0xf34
:2750 8/14/2008 17:18:40 0xf34
Exception: BCF::GBCL exception caught : GTFD exception : too much 'DRG_INLINE s_1Dim_Bas
:357 8/14/2008 17:18:40 0xf34
:2750 8/14/2008 17:18:41 0xf34
:357 8/14/2008 17:18:41 0xf34
:2750 8/14/2008 17:18:41 0xf34

s_1Dim_BasicBuffer is one of our base template class which is heavily used.

I killed "c:\\documents and settings\\pigo\\local settings\\application data\\VisualAssist" and restart VC6. Memory use stabilises after 1:15 CPU time at 51MB and 0% CPU usage

If your interested I've done a backup of the data in "c:\\documents and settings\\pigo\\local settings\\application data\\VisualAssist"

So I think thats enough for the moment

Michael

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all of your problems are being caused by VA's symbol database becoming corrupt. What we need to do is to find out why this is happening.

Do you ever run more than one instance of VC6 at a time?

Next time VC6 hangs when you try to close it can you try and debug it? If you launch a new instance of VC6 and attach it to the hung VC6 are you able to save out a mini dump file?

How large is the backup of "c:\\documents and settings\\pigo\\local settings\\application data\\VisualAssist" ? This might be useful, if it is not to large.

Are you able to send me a copy of the "s_1Dim_BasicBuffer" template class for testing purposes? I understand this is often not possible, but it is worth asking.

If it is possible please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000