New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a long absence I returned to C++ and VAX and here we go with some bugs in build 1559...

Here you can see various issues:
* coloring of keywords, members, variables and namespaces
* syntax of items (C++ uses :: and not .) and not even that is consistent in both views
* sort order

It would be really nice to see the same in both views.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  3:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keywords first, what colour have you assigned to keywords? Mine are set to blue, and they ("int", "const") are shown as blue for me in both the alt-m list and the HCB.

namespaces are also set to blue, and again are shown in blue for me in both locations. If this is failing for you that is a little worrying.

Dot instead of :: in the alt-m list, I am tempted to argue this is useful, since it makes filtering the list quicker and easier, since you can just type a single dot instead of :: when you need to filter across such a "boundary".

I agree with you about the sort order. I had not noticed that, but they are doing it differently even when the alt-m list is set to alphabetical sorting:

case=8691

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  3:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not the kind that likes to mess with colors, so they are default here. Keywords=blue, namespaces=blue, like that it works nicely in the source windows. It does however not work in the alt+m list and the VA view.

I still find the dot very irritating in C++ code, and if one needs to filter by class/namespace in the list then he/she needs to seriously rethink the source layout and maybe break down those 10000 lines of code into some smaller files.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  08:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which OS are you using? I am wondering if somehow this matters.

Silly question, but in VA options have you turned off applying VA's coloring to anything? On my test system (where this is working) I have all 6 items turned on.

The size of the file is a fair point. Look at FSIW though, this also uses dot as the class name / member function separator, and you do expect to see a lot of classes here. So seeing a dot in both places makes sense, since this gives you a consistent approach to filtering.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  08:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Windows XP as usual, VS2005 with whatever SP is available, plus some VS add-ins (powertoys) AxoSoft Ontime2007 VS addin.
All items are checked for coloring. Disabled only the bold/italic options (seriously thats ugly).

As for the dot: I'm using C++ for Crists sake, and there is no such thing as . to specify a scope. No matter how much you try to justify it, C++ is C++ and C# is C#, dot it wrong here.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  08:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have installed both plugin's onto a winXP test machine, and so far I am not seeing any colouring problems in VS2005. Are you happy to export your VA and VS2005 settings and let me have a copy? If so I can import them here on a test system, and see if this makes any difference:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I have put a case in about VA showing dot in the alt-m list:

case=8758

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  10:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, on the way. I seriously doubt that any of those addins have anything to do with it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the settings, thank you for those. Unfortunately, and as expected, they have not made any difference. Still no sign of the problem.

Which version of VS2005 are you using? I have a vague memory you are using the Team Suite edition.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right about the version.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  10:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am getting somewhere. It looks like the IDE powertoys break this, but uninstalling them do not fix it, but only if you are using VS2005 Team Suite edition.

I need to run some more tests, to try and pin down the facts a little better.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  12:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, that sounds neat. I guess you are having lots of fun figuring that one out
I have no problems to NOT use the powertoys... given that VAX supplies something better, hehe.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  1:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The powertoys are the cause of the problem, installing them changes something about the system, but uninstalling them does not undo this change.

I have tried all the obvious fixes, but none of them help. Once broken this stays broken.

Simply reinstalling the IDE, or uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE may fix this.

I have put in a bug report for this:

case=8784

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  1:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since they are open source it should not be too hard to figure out whats the problem in the end and put in a bug report into their system.
Go to Top of Page

haan

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  06:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Repairing the VS installation fixes coloring (VS2005, VA1561).

I installed the IDE enhancements late last night, preventing syntax colouring. Uninstall of the enhancements indeed doesn't work; un- and reinstalling VA neither. Repairing VS does, but note that I uninstalled VA before repairing.
Go to Top of Page

haan

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  06:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*%&&*(%$($&! I broke it again.
I've set the foregroundcolor of 'Identifier' to gray (because I'm using a dark blue background). This appearantly overrides VA's syntax coloring. Any ideas on this?
Go to Top of Page

haan

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  06:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, out of pure despair I tried setting the Identifier background color to 'automatic'.
This had no effect whatsoever on the background, but did re-enable syntax coloring.
After setting them to default/automatic, both text and background color of Identifier appear as 'Custom' when I reopen the settings.

How can I change the default identifier text color to something lighter than black, without disabling VA syntax coloring?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  08:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets start with the basics, which IDE and version of VA are you using?

The problem Uniwares reported effected VA syntax colouring most places *outside* of the text editor. I never saw colouring problems inside the main text editor its self, so you are probably seeing a different problem.

Go to Top of Page

haan

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  5:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my first post: VS2005, VA build 1561.

The trouble I had is with setting the foreground/text color of Identifiers (via VS2005 menubar Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts & Colors). If I change it to anything, VA syntax coloring in the text editor stops. The desired behavior is to alter the default textcolor of identifiers - that is, the color text has before VA recognizes it.

To get syntax coloring working again, I had to set the identifier backcolor from 'Custom' to 'Automatic'. This does not change the backcolor at all (opening the settings again it still reads 'Custom'), but does re-enable syntax coloring in the text editor.

Please check if you can duplicate this behaviour. If not, I'll post screencaps.
This is not a really big bug (e.g. chance of occurring: people that mess with IDE color scheme; impact: 100% reversible) but then again, its workaround is not the first thing that springs to mind, and it persuaded me into reinstalling VS2005 this morning which still takes about a hour here.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mistake, I missed the IDE and VA version somehow.

There is an interaction between VA and identifier colour, I remember this, but off hand I don't remember the details.

Using VS2005 and VA 1561 I have changed to a black background, and set Identifier to have a Yellow foreground and Black background. After restarting the IDE the IDE options dialog now shows Identifier to have a "Custom" foreground colour, but the custom colour is the Yellow colour I selected.

VA highlighting is working, but so far I am not seeing any yellow text.

If you restart the IDE what effect does this have on your colour settings?

Go to Top of Page

haan

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  11:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first set the identifier background color to some dark color, and restart.
Next, set the identifier foreground color to somehting light, e.g. gray. This overrides all VA syntax coloring, even on IDE restart, until I change the background color to 'automatic' (but other colors may work too).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  11:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say you have to change the background colour to "automatic", I assume this is the identifier colour. Does this give you the correct result?

Using VS2005 and changing the background colour of Identifier *only* does not work, since the editor has a white background, except for a few words here and there, which have a black background. I always have to change the background of both Text and Identifier when setting up a dark background test.

Can you list the steps you are taking, and the colours you are listing? I can get a black background working quite happily here.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000