Issues with 1544
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having serious issues with my tooltips in 1544.

* All of my tooltips are corrupted when hovering over any identifier. All I get is a bunch of boxes and other odd characters. I've tried going to the performance tab and doing a Rebuild and a Clear. It didn't help.

* Normally when you type in a function and hit '(', a parameters tooltip pops up (one of my favorite features of VAX). This is now gone. How do I get it back if this is indeed an intended feature?

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  2:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and programming language are you using?
Are you using a localised IDE or OS?

Do these problems go away if you disable VA, or stop it from running when you load the IDE?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VS2005 SP1, on an XP SP2 machine. No localized IDE or OS. Dual-Core Pentium D. This issue only appeared after my last upgrade. I will try and disable VAX to see if anything changes. I'll let you know if that fixes it, but please assume that it doesn't fix it if you don't hear from me.

Thanks,
Dario

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  08:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post a screen shot of this effect please?
Does changing the system font for tooltips

Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance tab -> Advanced -> Item = Tooltip

make any difference?

Are you running any system utilities that might effect how tooltips or other GUI items are drawn, e.g. WindowBlinds?

Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  9:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Windows utilities. Nothing has changed. The only Add-ons I have on in VS are VAX and Incredibuild. Here is a link to a screen grab. Let me know what else I can do to help with this. It's killing me :)

http://www.zchromosome.com/misc/Tooltips.jpg
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  12:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you try turning off:

VA Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

Looking closely at the tooltip, I am not seeing a clear border around the edge. VA tooltips have a single pixel border all around the outside edge, the IDE tooltips do not. Compare two screen shots of the two and the effect is quite clear to see. Of course, the fact that the text is "corrupt" means we cannot really rely on this to heavily.

Can you try disabling VA, as described in this FAQ, and see if that makes any difference please:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

Can you try changing the tooltip font please, via control panel.
One other thing to try is deleting the NCB file in the base directory of your solution. This might help if this is an IDE tooltip.

Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  1:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I figured out what was going on, and I apologize for starting this semi-wild-goose-chase.

I was sick of VS2005 wasting CPU cycles constantly updating Intellisense every time I changed any header file (it really sucks, and MS has failed to do anything about it in SP1 despite tons of complaints from users). The only want to turn it off was to rename the "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\vcpackages\\feacp.dll" file, which is VC's intellisense package. This is advice that came directly from MS on one of their forums.

I figured this was safe since I didn't think VAX used Intellisense at all, at least not when I have "Get Content from Default Intellisense" turned off. However, after reading this http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/members.asp#defaultIntellisense, I realize I was mistaken.

Is there anyway to just have VAX just bypass Intellisense completely? I'm guessing that's a big fat no since I now realize it's highly likely that VAX has a tight relationship with Intellisense. However, I can wish. Just throwing it out there :-)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  2:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a lot of our users have disabled the IDE's intellisense without any problems. I have been doing this myself for years in both VS2003 and VS2005, for various reasons.

VA is bypassing the IDE's intellisense completely, so long as you have turned off "Get content from default Intellisense". The listboxes after "::" come from the IDE, and are nothing to do with VA. Does this make sense?

Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  2:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Ok. The tooltip issue disappeared as soon as I renamed the Intellisense dll (which I had renamed feacp.dll.bak) back to feacp.dll. Is this how you are disabling Intellisense? Is there another way I should be doing this?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also create a pair of zero length, read only NCB files, as explained in the FAQ:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

This has the advantage of being project specific, but the disadvantage of causing a nessage box when you run the IDE.

So far VA has not been able to replace all tooltips in VS2005, there is no easy way to just stop the IDE showing tooltips, so that you always get VA tooltips.

Can you get the information you want from the VA wizard bar instead? I tend to use this instead of tooltips myself, since I am much more keyboard centric than mouse centric.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/context.asp
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/definition.asp

Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I haven't tried the approach of creating two 0 length NCB files, but it sounds like there is a bug with the renaming the dll method. I get the junk tooltips when I try this. I tried changing the font size through the Display control panel with no luck (I did restart VS to make sure it took affect). Anything else I can try? I hate the default Intellisense!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  4:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you look in the base directory of your project, is there a NCB file there? If so does deleting this make any difference?

I have just renamed my "feacp.dll" file and launched VS2005 (no SP installed on this machine) and I am not getting any tooltips when simply hovering the mouse over function calls or variables. This makes sense, since these tooltips should be coming from the IDE, but this was disabled via renaming the dll.

Just to be sure I have done the same test on a different machine, this time with VS2005 SP1 installed. Again no tooltips on hovering when the dll has been renamed.

Both test machines are using win2k as the OS.

What exactly are you doing to produce these tooltips?

For reference I have renamed the dll to "feacp.dll_ignore"

Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  4:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that I wouldn't get tooltips, as you are seeing. I honestly don't remember what I did to get them to show up. Usually it's from just hovering over an identifier. However, it would only show some of the time.

So, if I go the renaming NCB route, will I get tooltips back?

In response to your previous post, I do use the wizard bar as well. The tooltips are nice because they are "right there" and you don't have to change context from what you are working on.
Go to Top of Page

daves

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I also have renamed the feacp.dll and now I am getting no tooltips on anything, and I miss them. Is there no way to configure VAX to provide the tooltips?

What exactly does your statement

"So far VA has not been able to replace all tooltips in VS2005, there is no easy way to just stop the IDE showing tooltips, so that you always get VA tooltips."

mean? Is it there is a technical limitation that prevents VA from showing tooltips with vs2005?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In VC6 VA is able to tell the IDE not to show tooltips its self, so it shows the tooltips its self.
In VS2003 and VS2005 it is a lot more difficult, since the IDE does not simply allow us to just take over. So you tend to get a mix of VA and IDE tooltips in VS2003, and all IDE tooltips in VS2005.

We are looking into producing more tooltips in VS2005, but this is not easy.

case=1084

Unfortunately no IDE tooltips seems to be one of the side effects of disabling the IDE's intellisense.

Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for making a case# for this. Tooltips really are one of the big things I love and use in VAX. Hopefully you guys will find a way around this. I can't believe MS let a release and a Service Pack of VS2005 go by w/o addressing the complete waste that is default intellisense. Actually. I can believe it. It's MS after all. They still haven't figured out that file dialogs should remember the last list mode you were in. Ridonkulous.

Anyways, thanks.
D
Go to Top of Page

diarrhio
Ketchup Master

53 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand this may not be an easy problem to fix (and I know I'm being a bit selfish here), but is there any chance we can bump this case up the priority list? I'm realizing just how much I relied on tooltips. My productivity has definitely been affected.

Also, I don't know if this is Intellisense related or not, but the suggestion/auto-complete/idontknowexactlywhatitscalled list that popsup when you are doing #includes is gone too. It used to popup with suggestions, especialy if you typed a / or \\ in the path.

It's a real tossup between the gains of turning off Intellisense and the losses of VAX functionality. This dilemma is attacking the core of my being :)

Edited by - diarrhio on Feb 26 2007 5:08:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  10:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you turn off the option:

IDE Tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ ->General -> Auto List Members

Then when you type #include "" or #include <> manually, ignoring any autotext prompt the file names are not automatically listed. Turn this option back on again to get the items to be listed. This should fix that problem.

Looking at case 1084 a change has just been made, so this should show up in the next build. I am not quite sure what effect this will have in your particular case, and you may need to turn this on in the registry (I will post details to our Registry settings:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W254

When this build is posted, and I have prodded this a bit.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  4:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 1084 is fixed in build 1549. For VS2005, requires enabling of Quick Info Tooltips in Advanced|General.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000