Technical Support
 1530: 0 byte corrupted project files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptr727

31 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  6:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am running 1530 on VC8 team suite edition on a XP Pro x64 machine with 4GB RAM, and dual dual-core Xeon processors.

When I add, remove, move, several files and folders from a project, VC would get in a state where the UI is still responsive, but fails to close, and sometimes saying that a model window is open, yet there is no model window open.
I have to forcefully terminate VC.

When this happens the project file that I was working on now has a 0 byte size on disk, even while the project is still open in VC.

I also notice that when this happens VC is running with more than 500 threads, and using more than 1GB of memory.

If I disable VAX, VC runs with 27 threads and 240MB of memory, and since disabling VAX the 0 byte prject problem has not yet recurred.

With VAX disabled removing files from the project is instantaneous, with VAX enabled it takes several seconds for files to be removed.

Ideas?

Regards
Pieter

ptr727

31 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

With VAX turned off the problem just happened again.

I had process viewer open on my second monitor when the problem happened;
As I removed a file from the project, VC prompted me if I'm sure, I said yes.
After clicking yes the UI hanged, and I noticed that the 27 threads went up to 487, and memory usage climbed to 1.5GB.

I attached WinDbg to DevEnv and found that there are hundreds of threads with this callstack:

ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0x15 (FPO: [3,0,0])
kernel32!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0xac (FPO: [Non-Fpo])
kernel32!WaitForSingleObject+0x12 (FPO: [Non-Fpo])
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
va_x!LSetup+0x1596f
va_x!LSetup+0x94fa
va_x!RemoveFile+0x15e1

Thus it seems that even with VAX disabled it may still contribute to the problem.

I saved a dump file, email me if you'd like to take a look.

Regards
Pieter
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  12:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say, "Disabled," are you simply pressing the enable/disable button? That button doesn't unload VA X and its DLLs -- it just tells VA X to stop doing anything for a while.

Use "Tools|Addin Manager" to unload VA X "at startup."

Don't unload and keep using the IDE. Unload at startup and restart.
Go to Top of Page

ptr727

31 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  2:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"support", yes, with disabled I mean disable VAX in the VAX menu.

I already uninstalled VAX, and after uninstallation I have not yet encountered this probem again, and I did a lot of project maintenance after uninstallation, i.e. all the tasks that would previously fail succeeded after uninstalling VAX.

I may reinstall VAX if I really miss VAX more than I miss rebuilding complicated project files, or if I see the issue resolved in an upcoming release.

Are you sure you are not interested in that dump file?

Regards
Pieter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  1:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you say adding "several files" how many are you adding?
what method are you using to add them?
are you dragging / dropping files from an external program into the solution explorer?
are you using the add existing files dialog and selecting multiple files in one go?

i often make changes to my projects and solutions, in various IDE's, and have never had this problem. i can try to reproduce this, since this is a bad problem, but the details may be important.

do you have any other plugin's installed?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ptr727

31 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  5:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"feline"

To give you an idea, I was creating a 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) static library using the \\7zip\\Bundles\\Alone7z\\makefile as a template.
I created a new filter/folder for each of the directories referenced by the makefile.
I then added all files from those folders using the add existing context menu.
Then I looked at the makefile linker section and removed all files that are not referenced in the linker section.
I would select files using ctrl-left-click, and then press the delete key.
At this point the UI may hang or continue runing but not close, and the project file would be 0 bytes, and hundreds of threads would be spawned.

Regards
Pieter
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  5:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most of that makes sense, but your reference to CTRL-left-click puzzles me. are you selecting multiple files at a time in solution explororer, and then bulk deleting them? or are you doing something else?

i have downloaded the code for 7-zip, so i can try the same test here. did the IDE lock up very easily for you? or did it only happen after a lot of modifications?

Go to Top of Page

ptr727

31 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  11:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use ctrl-left-click to select multiple files from the tree, then I delete them in bulk by pressing the delete key.
I could reproduce it 100%, but I only tried three times until I uninstalled VAX.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have started testing this in VS2005 professional, so far and i have not had any problems.

i have added 26 folders in solution explorer, and i have added files to each of these folders.
i then went through and deleted maybe 40 files, from different folders in solution explorer, using CTRL-left click to select several files at a time, and then pressing delete to remove them from the project.

did you see problems this quickly? or did you only see problems after a lot more adding and removing?
if this is a big enough test then the next step is to do the same basic test in VS2005 team edition and see if that makes a difference.

Go to Top of Page

ptr727

31 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  7:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"feline", it happened pretty quickly.
But, my solution has around 20+ projects, maybe that makes a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000