Visual Assist hotkeys not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdrake

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2023 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I updated Visual Assist and Visual Studio and suddenly a few of my VA hotkeys aren't working.
Shift+Alt+O to open the file explorer still works, but Quick Actions (Shift+Alt+Q), Open Corresponding File (Alt+O), and Find References (Shift+Alt+F) no longer work. Performing these actions via the VA menu toolbar works; it's just the hotkeys which aren't working.

I have checked that the shortcuts are bound in Tools-> Options -> Keyboard. I tried enabling/disabling VA, restarting my IDE, restarting my PC, deleting my Visual Studio profile, reinstalling VA, but none of these worked.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2023 :  6:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is strange and should not be happening.
- Which version of Visual Studio are you using?
- Can you please try select Text Editor for "Use new shortcut in" when you assign alt+o, for example, to see if it makes any difference?
- Are you using English keyboard layout of something else?
- When you press alt+o in "Press shortcut keys" EditBox, do you see any other items to appear in the "Shortcut currently used by" ComboBox?
- What Windows version are you using?

These are some of the things I'm looking for, when trying to solve issues like this.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2024 :  08:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a few people reporting that the Alt-O keyboard shortcut mapping disappeared, but having the other keyboard shortcuts disappear as well is a first, I think. The trigger seems to be related to installing the VS2022 version 17.8.x update, but that alone is not enough to trigger this.

Can you please try saving out the following XML as the file "vs2022_va_keyboard_shortcuts.vssettings". You can then import this settings file via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Import selected environment settings

which should restore these missing keyboard shortcuts. You can simply delete any unwanted keyboard shortcuts before importing the file, should you want or need to.

<UserSettings>
    <ApplicationIdentity version="17.0"/>
    <ToolsOptions>
        <ToolsOptionsCategory name="Environment" RegisteredName="Environment"/>
    </ToolsOptions>
    <Category name="Environment_Group" RegisteredName="Environment_Group">
        <Category name="Environment_KeyBindings" Category="{F09035F1-80D2-4312-8EC4-4D354A4BCB4C}" Package="{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}" RegisteredName="Environment_KeyBindings" PackageName="Visual Studio Environment Package">
            <Version>
            </Version>
            <KeyboardShortcuts>
                <ScopeDefinitions>
                    <Scope Name="Text Editor" ID="{8B382828-6202-11D1-8870-0000F87579D2}"/>
                    <Scope Name="Global" ID="{5EFC7975-14BC-11CF-9B2B-00AA00573819}"/>
                </ScopeDefinitions>
                <UserShortcuts>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.FindSymbolDialog" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+S</Shortcut>
                    <RemoveShortcut Command="VisualAssist.NavigateBack" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+Left Arrow</RemoveShortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.NavigateBack" Scope="Global">Alt+Left Arrow</Shortcut>
                    <RemoveShortcut Command="VisualAssist.OpenFileInSolutionDialog" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+O</RemoveShortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.OpenFileInSolutionDialog" Scope="Global">Shift+Alt+O</Shortcut>
                    <RemoveShortcut Command="VisualAssist.VAHashtags" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+H</RemoveShortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.VAHashtags" Scope="Global">Shift+Alt+H</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.VAOutline" Scope="Global">Shift+Alt+Num -</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.FindReferences" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+F</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.FindReferencesResults" Scope="Global">Ctrl+Alt+Num +</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.FindSelected" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+K</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.GotoImplementation" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+G</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.GotoRelated" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+G</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.ListMethodsInCurrentFile" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+M</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.NavigateForward" Scope="Global">Alt+Right Arrow</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.NavigateForward" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+Right Arrow</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.OpenCorrespondingFile" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+O</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.Paste" Scope="Text Editor">Ctrl+Shift+V</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.RefactorAddInclude" Scope="Global">Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.RefactorContextMenu" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+Q</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.RefactorCreateFromUsage" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+C</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.RefactorRename" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+R</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.ResetEditorZoom" Scope="Text Editor">Ctrl+0</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.ScopeNext" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+Down Arrow</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.ScopePrevious" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+Up Arrow</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.SmartSelectExtend" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+]</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.SmartSelectExtendBlock" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+]</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.SmartSelectShrink" Scope="Text Editor">Shift+Alt+[</Shortcut>
                    <Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.SmartSelectShrinkBlock" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+[</Shortcut>
                </UserShortcuts>
            </KeyboardShortcuts>
        </Category>
    </Category>
</UserSettings>

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jdrake

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2024 :  10:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Importing the XML file settings appears to have solved my issue, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2024 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thank you. You should also be able to just manually map the missing keyboard shortcuts in the IDE options dialog, but with several missing keyboard shortcuts, this is probably quicker and easier. Hopefully this was a one off problem.

Go to Top of Page

derhexer

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2024 :  09:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here. Only the import works for me. Thx feline!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2024 :  12:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad we have a good work around that got you up and running again quickly

Go to Top of Page

KevinDill
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2024 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also had Alt-O stop working when I updated Visual Studio a few days ago. I rebound the hotkey in the settings, confirmed that it is now displayed as the shortcut for the selected command in the Options dialog window, and restarted visual studio just to be sure, but it still doesn't work for me.

I also did a Windows update at the same time (Win10) - I'm wondering if it's possible something else stomped that hotkey?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2024 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that the problem is triggered by updating VS2022. I thought it was a specific VS2022, so were you updating from an older version, or just a small update from a recent version of VS2022?

Go to Top of Page

DaveC@SD

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  06:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On mine, Alt+O was mapped to VAssistX.OpenCorrespondingFile for 'Global' but not for 'Text Editor'. Assigning it manually for 'Text Editor' fixed it. Looks like Alt+O might have been hijacked by a new VS command...?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  07:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the release notes for VA 2515:

Added Alt+O to Recommended Keyboard Shortcuts as Visual Studio 2022 now uses that binding. (case=164232)

so it's a new binding that new versions of VS2022 are using.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000