Technical Support
 Popup delay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

finn546

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2023 :  3:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you mouse over a function or macro you get a popup containing all the versions of that function or macro and sometimes their comments.

That popup: can we set the delay before it shows up?

The problem for me is that it pops up immediately whenever I try to click to put the cursor in some code, completely obscuring the code and usually half the screen. Obviously, I don't want that popup to go away entirely, as that's one of the points of VA, but it's very annoying having to click somewhere else and then move the cursor back to where I want it to be because VA won't let me click where there's a function or macro without popping up something that covers it.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2023 :  11:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if we have a delay for the tooltip, but I am surprised that the tooltips are so massive.

Does turning Off

VA Options -> Display -> Show Quick Info tooltips for more symbols
* Show additional comments when available

help to get the tooltips down to a more manageable size?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

finn546

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2023 :  1:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply.

I've already reduced their size by reducing the information they display, but I actually want that information to be displayed.

The reason the popup is so big is because my computer is cheap and therefore has a small screen, and also because my eyesight is weak I have the DPI turned up.

I frequently come across interfaces that assume some huge screen size and therefore I can't even see the "ok" button to click it. On some update or other a while back Windows displayed something I couldn't click and all I could do was press the "X" in the corner to close it. Those "allow cookies" messages on stackoverflow fill my screen too. I have to use "inspect" to close them by removing them from the document because I can't click the "allow" (or whatever it is) button.

Well, a lot of things are unusable when you can't see so well...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2023 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for explaining, this makes a lot more sense.

If you are using a recent version of Visual Studio, if you press and hold the CONTROL key, the tooltip should become transparent, allowing you to read the code that is behind the tooltip. Does this help much?

Only some of the tooltips come from VA, and some from the IDE, and the IDE doesn't seem to offer a way of changing the delay. So I am wondering if the information you want can be shown somewhere else as well.

Do you use VA's Context and Navigation fields? These are normally found at the top of the editor window and are where the Alt-M list appears from. They update to show information about the symbol the keyboard caret has been placed into, and are quite helpful. Not as much information as the tooltips, but it helps.

Go to Top of Page

finn546

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2023 :  06:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While holding CTRL does make it transparent, it doesn't solve the original problem - that to place the cursor in the code, I have to click a line or two away and then use the arrow keys to move it back.

I do use the other features of VA. The most useful to me are the tooltips, the goto commands and the code snippets. The navigation dropdown list is helpful too.

If the developers want to make any changes to fix this problem, then the simplest way would be for them to handle the WM_LBUTTONDOWN message for the tooltip and then close it, so that I can simply click the tooltip to close it and then click again to place the cursor in the code. That would probably be better than what I originally asked about, as waiting for the tooltip to appear when you don't want to click it would be annoying too. Currently, clicking the tooltip does nothing, which leads me to believe that the VA tooltip is a custom window, because all the Windows tooltips disappear when you move the mouse over them.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2023 :  12:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tooltips on mouse hover work the same way without VA installed. I am guessing to stop them being dismissed to easily, but that is just a guess.

I have put in a feature request to have the tooltips disappear on mouse click, since I am not seeing any obvious ideas for better solutions.

case=152619

Go to Top of Page

finn546

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2023 :  06:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you.

> because all the Windows tooltips disappear when you move the mouse over them.
> Tooltips on mouse hover work the same way without VA installed.

If I disable VA I don't get any tooltips. I guess it's because the VS intellisense is disabled. The Windows tooltips I was referring to are the ones outside of VS - like the ones in the system tray. Maybe the VS ones are also custom windows if they behave the way you describe, and VA is simply replacing their contents. It's difficult to get the class of windows that disappear. No doubt someone has written a tool like WinSpy that has delayed capture, but I don't have one. I can see VaMarginPlaceholderCls and VaWndCls, which I'm guessing are VA classes from their names, but they, like all the tooltips_class32 windows, seem to be nothing to do with it. However, this is going into way too much detail...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2023 :  10:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes VA will update the tooltips the IDE shows, assuming your IDE intellisense is enabled, and the IDE is showing tooltips. Other times VA will be showing its own tooltips. So not quite as simple as it could be, but this comes from extending Visual Studio, and sometimes working around things and working behind its back.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000