Find references improvements
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Filousov

Czech Republic
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  05:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find references functionality works good in general case. However in case where there is a lot of things of the same name in the solution, the search capability of find references is to no use.

Example:
It's very easy for names like get() to be used in 10K places for big projects. What the programmer is however usually interested in is the get() method references of the current class (not the whole 10K get() methods in the project)

Therefore I suggest following ordering of find reference results:

In the order of priority (best separated by some separation line or so)
1) All the get() references, locations of the current class
2) All the get() references of parent class hierarchy (in the order of "derived hierarchy" distance
3) All the get() references of the sub-classes (in the order of "derived hierarchy" distance)
4) All other unrelated get() references

I think this would be very very useful.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  11:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is clearly an unhelpful result. Can I just double check that you are actually running VA's Find References command, and the results you are seeing are appearing in the "VA Find References Results" window?

If you right click in the results window, and turn Off:

Display inherited and overridden references

does this make any difference? As the setting name says, this is designed to filter out references from derived and base classes.

VA does attempt to understand the scope of the symbol you are searching for, and only return the correct results. So if you are seeing so many many extra results, then something is clearly confusing our parser.

In the "VA Find References Results" window, can you please try turning off the "Display References from all projects" button, and then re-run the search, and see if this makes any difference? If your solution has multiple projects, and you only want to search the current project, this should help to cut down on the unwanted results.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Filousov

Czech Republic
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  03:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I didn't know about display inherited and overridden references. Thanks. This request does indeed makes no sense when it's already there.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  10:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad this helps. The inherited and base class members are shown slightly differently in the results list, with the class name they are coming from at the start of the result line, in square brackets. But if you don't want to see them at all, then just filtering them out makes more sense.

Sometimes seeing them is important, and sometimes it's just confusing. With focus in the Find References Results window you can press 'o' to toggle them on and off, as indicated in the right click menu.

Are you still seeing unrelated get() references in your results list, or does the results list now seem correct?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000