Instead of VA Hashtags, just VA Tags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Josh

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  6:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to make a VA Tags window that has the same features as VA Hashtags, but can include simple custom formatting.

Specifically I would like to emulate the VS Task List in a meaningful way. My project includes legacy code with comments such as \\ TODO rather than \\ #todo and it would be neat to be able to navigate those comments.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  03:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't is possible to use search and replace on the legacy code?

Also you can use find in files to find all TODO items.

The point of the VA Hashtag window that we can find all tags instead of just TODO items or any pre-specified string. If you want to only find specific words such as TODO, find in files can do a good job as well IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Josh

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2016 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's possible to find and replace in the code but I don't want to for the sake of the IDE.

You can find in files for # too.

The VS task list is useful to me, but it's broken. It would be good to track all different comment tags in one window without being stuck using a specific character (which I may use for other purposes).
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The VS task list is useful to me, but it's broken.

What do you mean by broken? It doesn't work at all, or you don't like how it behaves?

quote:
it would be neat to be able to navigate those comments

What version of the IDE are you using? We did a quick test in-house and it seems that in VS2015, you can navigate in all files. In earlier IDEs you could only navigate the task list in the current file. But it seems that in a recent build this was fixed.

quote:

VA hashtags is different from the IDE task list in that you can use any word, any tag, not just pre-defined words such as todo or fixme. If you try to find any '#', in find in files, you would get an awful lot of false positives.

quote:
My project includes legacy code with comments such as \\ TODO rather than \\ #todo and it would be neat to be able to navigate those comments.

With the latest IDE, you should be able to do that.

Our fear with including normal TODO items is that it would make the VA Hashtags window noisy. Hashtags are designed to mark related places in a way that you can navigate between the same tags, while with task list you just want a simple list without hierarchy.

For example, if you put #fixForNextBuild in a few places, and you press alt+G or alt+shift+G on it, all the other instances will be listed. You can use them as a hyperlink, e.g. see:#addBraces and put #addBraces at the destination. Alt+G will take you there. VA hashtags window also groups them. (Goto works even when the VA Hashtags window is not open.)

Edited by - accord on Oct 19 2016 6:59:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Josh

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2016 :  11:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by accord
quote:

VA hashtags is different from the IDE task list in that you can use any word, any tag, not just pre-defined words such as todo or fixme. If you try to find any '#', in find in files, you would get an awful lot of false positives.

I really like this and I was trying to build on this idea with my request. I had the idea that maybe any keyword could be added to either the hashtags window, or a similar-but-different window. Find in files gives me things like .toDouble when I want todo, so it helps when you can parse the comments.

I'm using VS2013 btw.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't just want to replicate VS task list. Why do you think it would be better to use VA Hashtags instead of VS tasklist for stepping through TODO items?

>Find in files gives me things like .toDouble when I want todo
Have you considered using match case and match whole word in Find in Files?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000