Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Syntax coloring missing for non-member end()
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tickwick

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  12:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2094.0 built 2016.03.25
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25123.0 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 14.0.25123.0
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.10586.0
Windows 10 10.0 Build 10586

The syntax coloring is not applied for the non-member end() iterator function, see attached screenshot.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you post a bit more code, to give this some context, so I can get a sense of what you are doing.

If you place the caret into "end" does VA show the expected, the correct information in the context and definition fields, normally shown at the top of the editor window.

There is a known limitation, that if the same name is used for different things, so a local variable and a function, this can confuse our syntax coloring code, since we have to run very quickly, to keep up with scrolling, and don't always have much context to work with when applying coloring, so this could be what is happening here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Tickwick

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  06:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  11:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the very clear example code. That is interesting, I did not know, or had forgotten, that "begin" and "end" were exposed like that. I always used to use "vec.begin" and "vec.end".

If you have the time, can you try making a new, default C++ console project, and then copy and paste this code into it. What coloring do you now get?

I have:

VA Options -> Coloring and Attributes -> Show stable symbols in italics

turned on.

With this code in my main test solution, all instances of "end" are colored as a function, but only the instances that are highlighted for you are shown in italics for me.

Testing the same code in a new, default C++ console project, all instances of end are colored and shown in italics.

Can you please try pressing Alt-G on the instances of "end" that are not colored and see what is offered? If VA is picking up another definition of the symbol "end" on its own, this should give us a clue as to where that reference is.

Go to Top of Page

Tickwick

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  2:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything seems to be working fine now, not sure why tho, nothing changed except some Windows updates. Checked on a different PC aswell and all is good, with or without italics and bold.
Attached screenshots anyway, not sure what fixed it.

Edited by - Tickwick on Apr 15 2016 2:56:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. I am not sure why this is now working, but was not working before. I am seeing the same Alt-g menu as you, and the same coloring and italic behaviour as well.

If this goes wrong again, please have a look at the Alt-g menu on "end", or what ever the problem function is, and see if this offers any clues.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000