Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 2 + Visual Assist Build 2094

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2094.0 built 2016.03.25
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25123.0 Community
msenv.dll version 14.0.25123.0
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.10586.0
Windows 10 10.0 Build 10586
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

When I try to use Go To Implementation (Alt+G) on a function declaration nothing happens.
However if I do the same on a function definition I'm taken to the function declaration as expected.
Actually, if I press Alt+G on a function declaration multiple times, it sometimes works but it's extremely unreliable.

Everything was working correctly on VS Update 1.

Is this a known issue or are there fixes for this?

I've tried rebuilding Visual Assist cache and reinstalling both Visual Assist and Update 2 but it didn't fix the issue.

Thank you.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  05:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't able to reproduce this using VS2015 update 2 and VA 2094.

Can you please open your VS options dialog and check what command do you have alt+G assigned for?

1. Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Keyboard
2. type VAssistX.goto
3. open the dropdown for Shortcuts for selected command

4. How many commands do you see there?
5. Is it assigned for text editor?
6. Please select VAssistX.GotoMember
7. Click inside the editbox for Press shortcut keys:
8. Press alt+G
9. Please open the combobox for Shortcut currently used by:
10. What other commands are using alt+G?

11. Does it make any difference if you remove the shortcut for the other commands?

Edited by - accord on Apr 10 2016 05:20:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

saq

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  09:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say the problem is still present when I use the VASSISTX->Goto Implementation button so I don't think the problem is caused by incorrect/conflicting shortcuts.

(I did follow the steps you posted anyway and everything was correctly setup like your screenshots)

I also created a small project to try and repro the problem but was unable to do so, looks like project size affects this issue. Even inside the same Solution, 'Goto Implementation' works on small projects (<20 files) but fails on the big ones (>100 files).
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  12:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you see any pattern regarding how the reproduce this?

1. Does this problem dependent on the symbol? I mean, can you find symbols where Alt+G always works? Can you find symbols where it never works?
2. Or is it more like symbol independent so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If this is true, does it depend on which file you are in or which file you are about to open?
I'm wondering which part fails: the symbol lookup, opening the file itself or somewhere else.
3. Does this problem depend on whether VA needs to open a file to jump or whether is it already open?
4. Can you please try to use goto relative for a while, instead of goto implementation? You can press alt+shift+g to activate that. Or to try it, you can even bind Alt+G to VAssistX.GotoRelated.
Goto related is different in a way that it always present a menu first. So my question is: does the menu always appear? If yes, does the jump always happen?
If you use Goto Related on a symbol where Goto Implementation always fails what happens?
5. Can you please try to use VA Find References on a symbol where Alt+G always fails? What happens?

Edited by - accord on Apr 11 2016 12:13:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

saq

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. No it never works on function declarations
2. No
3. No

Here I should mention that my solution structure is maybe a bit special.

-Inside the Solution I have a Project which is a static library.
-Every time I compile this project, a post build event copies all headers in the static library to a folder called Lib in the root folder of the Solution.
-Inside the same Solution there are more projects that include the Lib folder (that contains the headers of the static lib)

Eg:

\Solution
\\Static Lib Project
---Static lib files (includes .h and .cpp)
\\Lib
---Copy of static lib header files
\\App1 (Include Directory ..\Lib)
\\App2 (Include Directory ..\Lib)

4. When I use VAssistX.GotoRelated ( alt+shift+g ) on a function declaration it displays a list that contains a button to go to function declaration (jumps the same declaration on the Lib folder).
Looks like VSAssist gets confused by the fact that there's a copy of all static lib headers in Lib folder.

5. It displays all references including the function definition.

I managed to work around the problem by having App1/App2 include the actual "Static Lib Project" folder that contains both headers/files, this way Visual Studio doesn't know about the copy and VSX doesn't get confused.
But my setup used to work without problems before, and I believe it should still work.

I've created a modified version of Hieroglyph 3 (https://hieroglyph3.codeplex.com/) that has the same problem:

You can download it here:
https://mega.nz/#!yEIATB4b!L42ESkAohlpkEPWRiy790VfpKqVG__UihEoeLB_fp_Y

Don't need to compile or anything just open \trunk\Hieroglyph3\Hieroglyph3_Desktop.sln go to file \trunk\Hieroglyph3\Include\RendererDX11.h and try to use Alt+G on any of the member function declarations.

Edited by - saq on Apr 11 2016 6:07:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  02:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to reproduce the problem, thank you for taking the time to create a test solution.

case=96466

I am seeing the same with VS2013 so I don't think that VS2015 update 2 is the problem, the fact that it happens after you installed may be a coincidence? I also tested with older Visual Assist versions back to 2059 but the same problem happens.

I'm glad you were able to workaround the problem.

Edited by - accord on Apr 12 2016 02:59:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000