Line Numbers Toggle in Find References issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

56 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  11:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I tried setting the Line Numbers toggle to false in the Find References results window, only to find that it turns off alot more than just the line numbers. It also turned off the function context (which prefixes the line numbers). Lets just say I'm not willing to sacrifice that just to hide the line numbers as the function context display is extremely useful.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  11:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be a silly question, but is there something specific you are trying to achieve here? Line numbers and the function context are closely related, to you can argue that they appear and disappear together. Are the line numbers getting in the way? Causing a distraction?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

56 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" Line numbers and the function context are closely related"

They are? I do not agree with that. The feature is to toggle the display of line numbers, yet to my surprise it did more than that. I find it undesired that it also turns off the function context display.

It needs to be explicit, toggle only the line numbers off, as the name of the feature in the context menu suggests.

"but is there something specific you are trying to achieve here?"

Reduce length of the lines on the horizontal so that they are less likely to wrap. The line numbers are not important to me, but function context is.

One thing I was thinking is it would be nice to have an option to show the function declaration instead of the inlined abbreviated form.

So for example:

Project
  File
    void MyFunc(INT InVar)
      reference

or perhaps something even more contextual and show the caller:

Project
  File
    MyObject->MyFunc(InVar);
      reference

Edited by - CliffyP on Apr 08 2016 12:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  3:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having the line numbers toggle only hide the line numbers makes sense, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=96491

I am not really following what you are asking for here, for the function declaration. Find References is showing you the references, which for a function, will be both the function declaration, and function calls.

Are you only seeing part of the function declaration when doing a Find References on a function, rather than the full line of code for the declaration?

This should only happen when the function declaration is spread across several lines, and VA is just showing you one line in the results list. But in this case, hover the mouse over this line in the results list to see a tooltip showing you the context of this line.

Go to Top of Page

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

56 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  11:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I am not really following what you are asking for here, for the function declaration. Find References is showing you the references, which for a function, will be both the function declaration, and function calls."

I was talking only about the function context feature, not the reference itself.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  1:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry, but I still don't understand.

You have posted 4 lines of text for a single reference. Project and File are already nodes in the Find References Results window. So are you trying to add a "reference" as a child of each result? If so, what is "reference"?

Are you looking to make each result a parent node, with extra information as a child node under it, or something else again?

Go to Top of Page

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

56 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  12:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on your reply in TOPIC_ID=12615 you do seem to understand what I am requesting, so not sure why your saying you do not here.

" If so, what is "reference"?"

reference is the arbitrary symbol I executed Find References on...

"Are you looking to make each result a parent node, with extra information as a child node under it, or something else again?"

I don't understand this question.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I followed you more easily in the other thread. Perhaps a clearer description over there, or perhaps seeing the idea several times helped me to follow.

I have added this idea to a case for showing more information for the function name, since they go well together:

case=71850

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000