New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  11:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

What is the rough schedule for official VS2015 support?

I just installed VAX 2068 into VS2015 and my hotkeys quit working; is this a known issue? It happened in VS2015 RC when I was running on an Azure instance and it has now happened with VS2015 RTM running on my local desktop.

Thanks,
Paul

Chris Wilcock

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  5:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have installed VAX 2068 into two seperate instances of VS2015. In one instance it works perfectly, but in the other instance it does not seem to start - there are no menus, toolbars or key bindings available, even after several attempts at running the Setup app.

Is this a known issue?

Chris Wilcock
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  7:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pwc: This is unexpected and should not happen.

What do you mean by hotkeys quit working? Do you mean it happened when you installed Visual Assist? Which hotkeys are affected? Just the ones provided by Visual Assist or other shortcuts as well?

Can you please go to Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Keyboard? Is the shortcut still in the combobox under "Shortcuts for selected command:" for your commands?

For example, to check alt+g, please type vassistx.goto to the upper editbox, and alt+g should appear in mentioned combobox.

Chris Wilcock: Is Visual Assist listed in the extension manager? (Tools -> Extensions and Updates...)
If listed, but not enabled: can you please try enabling it?
In case it's not even listed: can you please send in your installation logs? You will find them in your %TEMP% directory with the name VSIXInstaller_*.log. Please use the below form to send the settings in:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please paste the URL of this topic to the "Your Request" field so we can match it up.

Edited by - accord on Jul 21 2015 7:36:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  9:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In particular, ctrl+F7 quit compiling the active cpp file (active meaning the text editor for that cpp file had focus). The hotkey was still listed as a shortcut for the compile command in the options dialog. VAX hotkeys worked, e.g. alt+g. I've since restarted Visual Studio and it's working again on my desktop. Restarting did not fix it on my Azure instance.

Thanks,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  9:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, can you comment on how long it will be before we have official support for VS2015?

Thanks,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

rob8861

29 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  01:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know as well if VS2015 is officially supported.
Go to Top of Page

joostn

16 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  05:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I too had problems installing VAX in VS2015. I've installed the Visual Studio 2015 community edition. Running the VAX installer gives me

- Select which IDEs you want to install to:
-v- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 RC (for current user account)
-v- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 (for current user account)
-v- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (for current user account)

All are selected. VS is not running.
After installation, in VS2015 there is no VASSISTX menu like in VS2013, and Extensions and Updates does not list Visual Assist X.

I have been able to install VAX though, via the online gallery in Extensions and Updates.

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  5:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're constantly improving VS2015 support, and our next build should be available before long with VS2015 RTM support (in a few weeks).
However, VA listboxes will still be absent in C# (we're working on this) which will affect features like smart suggestions.
I would like to reiterate that it will only affect C#, listboxes will work fine with C++.

Regarding keyboard shortcuts: Visual Assist does not change how shortcuts work it just registers new commands which can be used to assign shortcuts for them.

Is the problem resolved if you disable Visual Assist via extension manager?

Tools -> Extensions and updates...

If yes, what happens when you re-enable VA? Does the problem still exist?
Go to Top of Page

WhattayaBrian

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  01:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd also like to report that the Insert () and closing } ) ] ' " feature appears to be completely nonfunctional in 2015. I am at the mercy of VS's default brace completion options. :(
Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  11:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
accord, hotkeys have been working for me since restarting VS. I can't repeat anymore so consider it closed.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  06:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What language are you using? It works for me both with C++ and C# even when the Visual Studio equivalent setting is disabled.

If you see a change in behavior and would like how Visual Assist's variant behave, just disable the below setting:

Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> <Language> -> General -> Automatic Brace Completion

Note that you need to keep Visual Assist's variant enabled:

VA Options -> Corrections -> Insert () and closing } ) ] ' "

Does this help?
Go to Top of Page

WhattayaBrian

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  9:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, that did fix it. So I guess the more specific issue is that VAX's brace completion doesn't work when Visual Studio's is turned on.

All my tests were specific to C++.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in a feature request to make this more apparent somehow:

case=91107

BTW, the documentation mentions this:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W170#vs