Technical Support
 Installation Does Not Work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jromano

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  3:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded VA_X_Setup2062 today but after installing it for VS 2011, 2012 and 2013, VAX does not show up in any of those programs.

I do see Visual Assist in Programs and Features available to uninstall, but the installation appears to have failed even though it claimed to succeed in the installer.

Is this a known issue or is there a workaround? I tried looking in the VS Add-In manager but there is nothing there either. No one else in my building (100+ engineers) has seen the issue I am seeing.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  4:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is strange and should not happen.

Can you please go to extension manager? (Tools -> Extensions and Updates...)

1. Can you find Visual Assist in the list?

2. Is Visual Assist enabled?

3. Are you running Visual Studio as an administrator?

4. If yes, is the below setting enabled?
Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Extensions and Updates -> Load per user extensions when running as administrator

5. You can try downloading and installing the extension directly from Visual Studio gallery:
https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/D6678A1F-C700-4532-8C5E-A799D875063D
You will get an .vsix file. Visual Studio installs the extension, and the installer just extracts these files.

6. Our installer uses the %TEMP% directory so it can fail if you don't have one.

7. If you still cannot install the extension, please go to your %TEMP% directory (e.g. type %TEMP% in the start menu and press enter) and you will find installation logs there with the name VSIXInstaller_*.log. It may contain useful information. You can send in the installation logs via
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
Please paste the URL of this topic to the "Your Request" field so we can match it up.
Go to Top of Page

jromano

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  4:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visual Assist *is* in the Extensisons and Updates list, but the Enable button is grayed out and I am unable to select it or enable VAX.

I am running as administrator.

Edited by - jromano on Jun 08 2015 4:28:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

jromano

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  4:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After enabling "Load per user extensions when running as administrator" I now see Visual Assist in the Extensions and Updates list but my only options are to Disable it or Uninstall it. VAX still doesn't actually show up in any of the drop down menus or tool bars and I do not have access to them.

I noticed the logs I sent in were in MY user folder even though I run VS as administrator. Going to try installing VAX as administrator as well, I sent in my installation logs as requested.

Thanks for the super quick turnaround and support on this!

Edited by - jromano on Jun 08 2015 4:43:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try the following?

1. Disable VA in the extension manager
2. Restart VS
3. Enable VA in the extension manager
4. Restart VS
Go to Top of Page

jromano

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  09:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The steps listed ended up working for me. Thank you for your help on this issue!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000