New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  1:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VAX's Find References Results is far superior to the internal VS find feature. It's grouped, syntax highlighted, collapsible. I was wondering if there's a way to also find unknown tokens with a top-down search as VS's find does today? The VS find results are not grouped (except by filename in the listing), not syntax highlighted, not collapsible, and they include all leading whitespaces which makes it difficult to sift through when you have dyslexia. :-) It's a pathetic offering really when compared alongside that which VAX provides.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  1:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please give an example of what you mean by an unknown symbol? What are you thinking here?

If VA does not know what the symbol is, then it won't be able to look it up or search for it. For a truly unknown symbol all that can be done is a full find in files.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unknown symbol... here's the example which prompted this request: I use the PostMessage() function throughout my code for various reasons. However, I had occasion in my code to now intercept that function through my own myPostMessage() function, which queues up messages before sending them. As such, I did a global find-and-replace, which replaced the ~60 instances in my application, with the new name. At that point, the symbol "myPostMessage" was not found because it hadn't yet been defined. I immediately after the find-and-replace wanted to find all of those 60 instances of where I had just changed it so I could go to each line and add the new 5th parameter which was required by my needs (there are reasons why I wasn't using the 5th parameter assignment in the .h file). However, I could not find it using ALT+SHIFT+F because it was unknown. I had to use Visual Studio's global find. My alternative was to go and define the function somewhere (in the .h or in the .cpp) and then do the find after it was known to VAX.

I realize it would be a top-down search through the files line by line, which I believe is what VS is doing, but I'd much rather have the find results from VAX with its formatted text, even if the word I'm looking for wasn't highlighted, than to sift through VS's find results which are all over the place due to the leading whitespaces.

Other cases I'm remembering where I would've liked to have had the ALT+SHIFT+F ability on whatever word I'm sitting on (typically within the comments), or when I'm writing new code and I haven't yet defined the variable formally, but have used it on the last few lines of code (such as when I write something with lnI in a loop, for example, which I might code 4 or 5 lines using lnI maybe even 10 times before I define it somewhere. Being able to use ALT+SHIFT+F to find where it's used in the output would be useful). I think I've asked for that ability before and it was rejected.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  7:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking to use the VA Find References Results formatting on find results:

case=37933

I asked what was happening to see if I can understand correctly your situation, since sometimes there is a second approach that can be considered. Here, especially for the new variable you want to search, have you considered using Create From Usage?

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W164

Especially for a local variable, knowing we only have to search the local scope, the VA Find References will return virtually instantly. Much faster and more useful than a full solution search.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  07:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see where you post case=Nnnn from time to time. What does that relate to? Is there a place where I can search for cases? I tried a couple case searches on the main Search page, but they came back no results.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  10:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The case numbers are references into our bug and feature tracking system, and this page explains more about them:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W318

The same case number is often referenced by several different forum threads, so searching for the case number can bring up other reports and discussions about the same topic.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000