Feature Requests
 VA Outline and Surround With
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jleitert

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2014 :  02:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, it would be nice to have the same Surround With menue items in VA Outline as in the editor window. Currently you have only Comment, #pragma and #if in there.

Thanks

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2014 :  1:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean the "Surround With (VA)" menu item that comes up when you do a normal right click in the editor window? This is showing you all of your VA Snippets that use $selected$

Normally most of these snippets are designed to work at a smaller scope than VA Outline, for example inserting an if or while block. For VA Outline you are often operating on one or more functions.

What sort of things are you trying do do here? We don't have the concept of "file level" snippets, so there is no way to filter out just the snippets that it makes sense to trigger from VA Outline.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jleitert

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2014 :  2:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I meant "Surround With (VA)" in the editor window. And yes I understand your point about file level snippets. But I have created a VA Snippet to surround class declarations with namespaces. (e.g. namespace $end$ { $selected$ } )
Normally I use VA Outline to get an overview of files. And when I find a class that should be in a namespace, I must select the class item, choose "Select in Editor", switch to the editor, go to the "Surround With (VA)" context menu and choose my namespace snippet. It would be much easier, to have it in the VA Outline Surround With menu.

Btw. the predefined snippets in "Surround With (VA)" like: #if 0...#endif, #ifndef...#endif, #include guard in a header and {...} can be useful on file level too.

So why not having a checkbox in the snippet editor, to make snippets available in VA Outline "Surround With"?

Thanks

Edited by - jleitert on Apr 14 2014 3:28:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2014 :  9:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more I think about this, the more it makes sense, so I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of it:

case=81736

Adding a flag on Snippets might happen later, but I am not sure its worth the effort at this stage.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 23 2014 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In build 2036, we have added a Surround With Namespace command to the VA Outline context menu (case=81739).
Go to Top of Page

jleitert

5 Posts

Posted - May 24 2014 :  03:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000