New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  05:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not possible to find references of ctor calls, VAx finds all references to the class. It should be possible to find the references only to the ctors or specific overloaded ctors.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  9:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering adding this:

case=1262

its not as easy as "normal" class member functions though, since you have to cover all the places where the class is created.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

schollii
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wish for this too. I've seen several posts about this so I'm hoping it is getting high priority on your list. I notice whole tomato mods indicating it is not an easy task. This is true if you want to cover all grounds: explicit construction on stack or heap and conversions in return "values" and function parameters (am I missing any? I think op= is a subset of previous).

But isn't this a case of filtering out some of the results? If you look at all places where the class name can appear: class declaration, class definition, method definitions, forward declarations, member reference (data or methods), and probably a couple more... Surely you guys can come up with a filter that will remove most of those, leaving just the constructors and maybe a couple of false positives.

In current VAX (build 1925) about 80% of results are not the constructor we are looking for. That's a lot of false positives. Even if you could bring this down to 10% false positives that would be really helpful.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  10:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is still on the list of features we are considering adding. I have put a note on the case about this, you have an interesting approach here, and it might help a bit, thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  11:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll just throw my 2c in as "I also wish for this feature commonly."

I know it opens a bag of worms to make this work better, but not perfectly (you'll get a slew of "this doesn't work right!@!@# gobble-gobble!", but I agree with Schollii, an 80% solution beats the current 20% solution :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on your code, and how you create instances of your class, you might be able to use a regular expression search to get quite a few of the constructors.

As an experiment, using the following sample code:

class testFindConstructor
{
public:
	testFindConstructor();
	testFindConstructor(int nParam1, int nParam2);
};

void testParam(testFindConstructor used1, testFindConstructor *used2);

void testUsingClass()
{
	testFindConstructor *test1 = new testFindConstructor();
	testFindConstructor test2;
	testParam(test2, test1);
}

and VS2012, the following regular expression find is helping:

(<new:b+testFindConstructor>)|(<testFindConstructor:b+:i+;)

obviously it will some fine tuning for your requirements, but it is an interesting start point.

Go to Top of Page

Wernlund
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  11:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to chime in for this feature as well! And, while we're at it, and I figure this is tricky as well, finding references to operators would be magnificent as well!

Today I can still find references to a particular constructor by doing something with its arguments (well, usually anyway) and see where the compiler starts complaining, but doing the same with operators is very difficult.

/ Lars
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  10:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking to run Find References on any particular operators, or all overloaded operators?

We are considering allowing Find References on operators, but this is a long term idea:

case=57778

Go to Top of Page

steinsomers
Ketchup Master

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  09:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be delighted with this feature too. I don't think Find References on a constructor (or destructor) currently has any advantage over a dumb word search, unless the class name is "overloaded" through nesting or namespaces.

Of course, if you also wanted to list implicit calls to constructors, like pass-by-value or implicit conversions, and implicit calls from explicitly or implicitly defined constructors in derived classes, you're in for a treat. But just listing explicit calls would be welcome.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly initially I think we will only look for explicit constructors. Some, probably most implicit calls are going to be very difficult to find, and so could end up causing more problems than it solves.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000