Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2010 Ultimate w/SP1 10.0.10219.1
VAX 1862
Win 7Pro x64

No Add-ins
Extensions: VAX and Productivity Power Tools( PPT options are all off except Document Well, and Enhanced Scroll bar )

Anything and everything to do with Intellisense is disabled. Intellisense just can't handle a quarter million lines of code in a solution across 40 projects plus multiple SDKs and DDKs, without grinding things to a halt. VAX has no problems. Never has from VS2003 on when I started using it. Pat on the back to the boys in the cave. Without the VAX crew, coding would be like notepad, without the ++.

OK, enough kissing ass..

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense is OFF

code:
#include "../"

After manually typing the slash ( forward or back ), no listbox appears.
Ctrl+space will bring it up.
Also if you type any character after the slash, then backspace, the listbox will appear.

Happens if you manually type the slash for any path.

Couldn't find anything similar in the forums.

and remember to always keep your food inside the tent,
because bears can't work zippers..

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  11:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your feedback and your praise, it is really good to hear that we are being so helpful and productive

For this problem, are you typing all of this line, or just typing #in and accepting a VA snippet for this line?

However you are entering this line, does a listbox appear spontaniously when typing this line, so when you are at this point:

#include "|"

do you get a spontaneous listbox?

Have you disabled the VS2010 intellisense? Perhaps via:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database = True

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  03:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When people ask what I do, I usually say I'm a Code Grunt. Like battlefield soldiers, we're the ones who get the job done, but are never acknowledged or appreciated for the crap we go and have to deal with to get there. Confucius was wrong; sometimes it's necessary to kill a mosquito with a cannon.

I got introduced to VAX at a company I worked for about 6 or 7 years ago. Don't know how I worked without it, and can't live without it now. Bastards! YouG??re like drug dealers, and every new build is a fix. ( Pun intended. )
Kind of like multiple monitors. Why do people have such a hard time understanding why I need three monitors? Ok, so maybe it's need 2, have 3, want 4+

Anyway on with the show....

Yes, to accepting the snippet.
No, to #include "|"
Yes, Disable Database = True

also..
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Intellisense -> all disabled

even if the line exists as #include "", set the cursor position, and type anything (letter or slash), no listbox. Hit backspace, so your back to #include "" and the list box appears.

additional repo:
#in <TAB> listbox appears
type anything that doesn't have a match in the listbox i.e. ../c listbox diappears at tying of first period
#include "../c"
<backspace>
#include "../" listbox appears

additional repo (this works in 2008):
my common include files for Libs, usually have a commented line at the top like this:
//#include "../ControlLIb"
copy/paste without the comment:
#include "../ControlLIb"
set cursor to end of Lib, type slash. no listbox
#include "../ControlLIb/"
type anything, char or slash
#include "../ControlLIb/a"
<backspace> listbox appears

odd how <backspace> will make the listbox appear at almost any point. Neat trick guys. WAD?

In every test case it works on VS 2008 with same build and previous builds. (Still running a double environment here) Intellisense is enabled in the VS2008 environment.

Every VAX option is turned on. except:

Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content...
General -> Double effective...
Display -> Display indicatior...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  12:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have the time, can you please create a new default C++ console solution, and then in the cpp file, type:

#in

accept the VA snippet, so you get:

#include "|"

and then type "../" so you have:

#include "../|"

Does the listbox appear correctly when you do this or not? I am wondering if there could be something in your current solution that is a factor. Since the listbox does appear sometimes, and since you don't see this problem in VS2008 it is probably not related to your directory structure.

Can you also please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  02:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still same issue with the console app.

Files uploaded.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have your settings, thank you for these. I can reproduce your problem using the sample project and just your VA settings. Can you try something for me please. Turn Off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Selections committed with: Any character not valid in a symbol (C/C++ Members)

then type a new #include "" line, and see if the listbox appears correctly after typing the /

If it does, try turning this VA option on again. Does the listbox still appear correctly? It does for me. It looks as if you might have a corrupt setting, and this has cleared it, at least based on what I am seeing here on my test system.

Go to Top of Page

Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  2:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Joy.

But I've got good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

First the good news, I found the culprit!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet10\"EnableAutoComplete"=hex:00

Repo: ( with the test project I sent before )
Manually set it to 01, start Visual Studio and the worlds a wonderful place. ../ produces the listbox. However....
Open Vax Options, don't change anything( everything is already on MAX), click OK, close VS

On the exit, VAX is resetting the value back to 00;

Manually set it to 01, start VS, Close VS, values remains 01

So in the interim as long as I don't change any options I'll be OK, and even if I do I know where the fix is.

Now the Bad News, which is totally unrelated...

I thought I saw something about this in the forum, but looking again I couldn't find it...
In tracking down the #include issue, I uninstalled VAX, and made sure no VAX directories or Reg entries existed.

Did a clean install, and on VS Start it barfs on VAX, stating it wasn't installed correctly.

Exit VS. Launch the VAX install, start VS, and the worlds a wonderful place.

Only real odd-ball thing on the system is that VS 2008 and VS 2010 are both installed, and setup for 2010 and pre-2010 options were selected in the VAX install.

Did an uninstall a second time, made sure no VAX directories or Reg entries existed, and did a clean on temp dirs as well.

Same result on the first install of VAX. Second install cleared the problem.

Still on VAX ver 1862

Go to Top of Page

Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  2:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course after I post I find the install link I was looking for...
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10457&SearchTerms=install,2010

I have the same setup as the other poster. Win7 x64 Pro, VS 2008 and 2010.

I seem to be able to repo it at will here, so let me know what logs and settings you'd like to see.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First the #include listbox problem. I seem to have found a more reliable solution. Can you please reset your IDE settings:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings -> Reset all settings

I reset to C++ settings, and these problems with the VA settings, registry key resetting, and listbox's not appearing all disappeared. This is still a very strange problem, but hopefully this reset will help a bit without causing to many problems.

The other problem, after installing VA, which IDE's are you seeing problems with? Is this with both VS2008 and VS2010? Or only one of them? The two IDE's work somewhat differently, so I would not expect this problem with both of them.

Go to Top of Page

Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  06:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet10\\EnableAutoComplete

Seems to be directly tied to the VS setting:

IDE -> text Editor -> C/C++ -> General -> Auto List Member
If this is off, so is EnableAutoComplete

As for the install issue, of course, now it won't happen. If I can get it to repo later I'll open a new thread.
Although when it did happen, I didn't try to even launch VS2008.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure I tried that IDE option fairly early on when I was trying to make sense of all of this, but it did not seem to be a factor then. Looks like I must have gotten confused somehow, since as you say, this option is having an effect. This makes sense, since turning this off should limit listboxes.

Hopefully turning this IDE option back on again won't cause you to much disruption, or unwanted listboxes.

As for the install issue, hopefully it has now gone away, time will tell. Obviously if it comes back again I will do what I can to help resolve this problem.

Go to Top of Page

Lockhart

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems odd to me that it is directly connected to the IDE setting. With the Auto List Members off, and forcing the EnableAutoComplete to 1, all the VAX listboxes still work fine. And with ALM off and the EAC off, the include issue was the only thing I've come across that didn't work properly.

At least we know what is going on now and why.

Thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000