Feature Requests
 VsVim Compatibility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

louisfeng

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  01:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using VsVim (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/59ca71b3-a4a3-46ca-8fe1-0e90e3f79329) in VS 2010 for a while and recently started to use VA X as well. These two great add-ons are conflicting with each other therefore provide diminished usability.

I read in a separate thread where another user asked about turning off the pop up suggestion list in VA X so that VsVim can still be used. I find that work around to be less than ideal. VsVim is open source and I have looked into the code to see if a better solution can be found. But the key input processing is fairly complicated and not very well documented. I have also talked the main developer of VsVim, Jared Parsons, from Microsoft (see https://github.com/jaredpar/VsVim/issues/labels/Visual%20Assist%20Integration#issue/319) about how to solve this problem. It looks like we'll need some help from the Whole Tomato team to work out a solution to let these two add-ons work side by side. Could you please let us know what you think. Thanks.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  1:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I was not aware of VsVim, but this could be tricky, since Vi in command mode treats the keyboard input very differently to the IDE.

Are you aware of ViEmu? I know some of our users use this plugin:

http://www.viemu.com/

I tried it once, but mixing Vim and VA together in my head like this got to confusing, I use the two editors quite differently, so I am not sure how well it would handle listboxes.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

louisfeng

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried viemu trial version after I discovered the problem between VsVim and VA X. I'm not sure what the reason was, but I couldn't get viemu to work even when VA X is disabled. Whatever the reason might be, that's probably another topic.

I guess what the VsVim developer really needs from the Whole Tomato team is to understand how VA X handles key commands (what VS SDK API it uses) and establish an order for handling keystroke events. VsVim would forward keystrokes down the chain if it's insert mode, while handling all keystrokes in command mode (that way VA X won't generate pop up list). I'm guessing, and hopefully this is true, that there won't be much work to be done on the VA X side, and most likely things will work transparently as far as VA X is concerned.

Could you give me an email where we could continue the discussion offline? I would like to get the VsVim developer involved in the discussion. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best way to contact us via email is to start a conversation via our support form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Unfortunately often VA does not work via standard IDE API's, but sometimes has to directly hook into the IDE in order to do what it does.

I do recall a short email discussion with one of ViEmu developers some time ago about detecting VA listboxes, so ViEmu could figure out when there was a listbox present, and then do something different with keyboard input. I am not sure if this thought is of any help or not though.

Go to Top of Page

louisfeng

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, I have sent a message to your tech support and hopefully we'll figure out a good solution. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

thelamb

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  3:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also use VsVim, together with VA X. What really stresses me out the most, is that the list box already comes up after typing 1 character (e.g. 'd' for delete in VsVim).

What I would really like to see in VA X is the possibility to configure after how many characters the list box pops up. Setting this to 3 will already greatly reduce the awkwardness with VsVim in my opinion. Besides, in big projects the list box that pops up after 1 character is too long anyway.
I've seen this option in another plugin I used long ago, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  6:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently working on improving compatibility with VsVim, in conjunction with the plugin author.

For listboxes, VA suggestion listboxes are designed to be fairly short. You can control their default initial height / number ov visible items if you want:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W351

but I am wondering if you are seeing completion listboxes instead. In a large solution these will be quite large / long. It depends on the IDE and programing language you are using, but you might want to turn off:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense -> Show completion list after a character is typed

and see what effect this has.

Go to Top of Page

thelamb

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  6:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The size of the list box was not really a relevant comment, it does not bother me. But the fact that it opens after 1 character really does, maybe this is my personal weirdness but I would like to be able to control when it opens ;).

I have to say though, your activity on this forum is really great - kudos! ;).
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are working on a solution to the problem of listboxes appearing when you are executing vim commands.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For listboxes in general, you could try turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

but this is going to stop VA suggestions entirely, not simply make them appear after a few more letters. You can then use Ctrl-Space to trigger a listbox. From memory there were also Vim commands for word completion, but I am not sure if VsVim includes these commands, or even how useful they would be in the IDE.

Go to Top of Page

thelamb

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  11:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ctrl-space is more annoying than pressing esc when I don't want the listbox ;). So for now, people around me will just have to live with my angry face when the listbox annoys me :).

Not to be rude or pushy but do you have any indication when the solution will be released? I'm asking because right now I'm on an evaluation version, and wondering if I should purchase now or wait a little to catch the next update (Academic license, so 'only' 6 months). It would be unfortunate that after 6 months and 1 day a new update with VsVim 'compatibility' is released ;).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  11:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VsVim compatibility is currently being worked on, but it is not yet finished. With luck it will show up in the next release build of VA, but until it is actually finished and tested I cannot really say.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  12:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=56633 is the case for VsVim compatibility, and is improved in build 1848

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

louisfeng

4 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  9:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote