New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chh

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  09:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

Visual Assist build 1432 seems to crash and take the whole visual studio process with it when I try to activate the context dropdown combobox in a specific .cpp file.

It works just fine in all other files .cpp/.h/.csv etc. except this single file.

Using build 1428 it would also crash (in that single troublesome .cpp file) if I started writing 'std::' but that works in build 1432.

Any suggestions?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile
first question, is it possible to get a copy of this single file from you for testing purposes?

do you mean the list of all functions in the current file, accessed via the keyboard shortcut ALT-M ? i am guessing you do, but it is good to be certain.

clearly something in this file or solution is upsetting VA. if you load the IDE and open this single file on its own does it still crash when you use the ALT-M list? this it is possible the surrounding project is relevant to this somehow.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

chh

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  02:45:29 AM  Show Profile
It doesn't seem like it is possible to send the offending file, I asked and it is confidential and stuff.

And yes, it is when I try to get the list of functions in the file (via ALT-M or activating the combobox) that it crashes.

It makes no difference if I open just that file, or if I have the whole project loaded.

I am impressed though, I've never seen visual studio close that fast, it is gone the instant I press ALT-M.
There is no popup telling me that one of my programs crashed and that Microsoft is sorry, and it doesn't reopen as it sometimes does when it crashes on its own.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  2:52:32 PM  Show Profile
i suspected the file would not be available, this is normally the way.

can you try trimming the file down by large chunks? you may be able to get it down to a much smaller piece of "jumbled" code that still crashes the IDE. if so, and the file is small enough, and meaningless enough you may be able to post or email it.

does the file make very heavy use of lots of macro's? off hand i don't see why else VA would be upset with it.

Go to Top of Page

chh

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  05:06:17 AM  Show Profile
I've pinpointed the function which is the cause of the crash.
If I take it out and paste it into another .cpp file it too will crash when I press ALT-M

I've mailed you the function.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  2:38:21 PM  Show Profile
i got the email, thank you. i have been able to trim the file even more and still get the same instant crash. the cause seems to be the length of the stream output line. if i reduce this enough then the crash goes away.

case=887

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in 1433.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly