Underline macros as incorrect
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  2:15:40 PM  Show Profile
When I edit C++ source VA X underline many macros in source file as incorect (red line) but when I point cursor on item VA X show correct tooltip for this macros. After some time (3-5 min) red line disappear.

For example if I type if(FAILED(hResult)).... All places in function where I use this macros FAILED() VA X underline word FAILED with red line.

How I can fix this?

I use VA X on VS2005 Team Beta 2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  5:53:06 PM  Show Profile
first test, can you change the colour VA uses for underlining mistyped symbols to something other than red, so we can confirm that it is VA doing this.

if you place the caret inside FAILED and press ALT-G what happens?

if you open the file:

C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\Include\\WinError.h

and search for "failed(" how is it coloured, and is it underlined? does opening this file have any effect on your source code and the FAILED macro?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  10:11:25 AM  Show Profile
I change color for mistyped symbol errors to blue and splell error to yellow.

FAILED and other macros underlined as mistyped symbols.

If I press ALT+G opens file

C:\\work\\CBranch_CX7843A\\SmartSDK\\include\\windef.h

As I see macros defined here. I we didn't use microsoft sdk because we have multiplatform application
and many usefull macros defined in our cross platform SDK. I have for each task new branch and new copy of sdk in it sdk subject to change from branch to
branch
Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile
I use VS2005 Beta 2 now, maybe Visual Assist X work well with final version of VS2005, but I'll can check this only in middle of december (when CD/DVD with RTM I should get).

Will be best if all work well, because I already like assist ;).
Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  11:21:16 AM  Show Profile
After I open header file that contain definitions for "mistyped" macros, underline in source file disappear, not only from macros on which I type ALT+G or by goto defenition (sometime ALT+G didn't work), but from all macros defined in opened .h file.

Strange that if I point mouse cursor on macros/variable I have Visual Assist X tooltip (well colored) with description for this structure/class member or explanation for macros.

I have 2 types of source files: C Source and C++ Source.

I use relative path(s) in all solution projects(..\\..\\..\\..\\..\\SmartSDK\\include)

Also I have separate Solution Folders which contain all files from \\SmartSDK\\include and other per project common headers.

I have VS2005 solution in top folder, here is sample tree of my directory structure. All projects have relative paths to own include directory and relative path to SmartSDK.

/-
..solution.sln
../SmartSDK
...../Include
../Projects
...../<PackageName>
......../private
.........../include
.........../src
.............../<ProjectName>
....................<projectname>.vcproj
...../<PackageName>
......../private
.........../include
.........../src

Solution stored on my drive C:\\work\\Branch_<XXX> where XXX Bug or CR ID.

Hope this information helps. I upgread to build 1432 and now I have not only macros underlined, but also some structures members.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:01:00 PM  Show Profile
at a guess there is a conflict, or at least confusion caused by the SDK you are using. can you post the information you get from:

VA options -> About -> Copy Info button

this copies your VA information into the clipboard. i am interested in the directories VA has been told to look at.

Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  04:52:58 AM  Show Profile
VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1432.0 built 2005.11.14
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.2
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50215.44
msenv.dll version 8.0.50215.44
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\include;

Other Includes:

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  2:08:03 PM  Show Profile
i think the problem is that VA does not know to parse the SmartSDK files automatically. do you have one copy of this SmartSDK, or one copy per C:\\work\\Branch_<XXX> directory?

if you only have one copy of the SmartSDK directory can you try adding this to:

IDE tools menu -> options -> projects and solutions -> VC++ directories -> show directories for = include files

you need to add the directory holding the .h files to this. after doing this, the SmartSDK directory should now show up in:

VA options -> projects -> C/C++ directories

if not, or if you are already using a custom platform here then add the directory here as well. after restarting the IDE, and possibly telling VA to reparse all files the problem should be fixed. if not we will have to dig a bit deeper.

Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile
I have own copy per each branch, usualy I have to work with 1-2-3 branches daily.

Can VAX automaticaly add include directories from project configuration to parse?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  3:02:25 PM  Show Profile
all right, "silly" question time. if SmartSDK is simply some form of SDK why do you have a separate copy for each bug / branch?

i use the Qt SDK and have several versions of my code in different directory trees, similar to the situation you describe, but i only have one copy of the Qt SDK, all of the code links against it, and i have told both the IDE and VA where to find the include files for the Qt SDK.

Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  05:46:39 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

all right, "silly" question time. if SmartSDK is simply some form of SDK why do you have a separate copy for each bug / branch?

Some branches created using old outdated/different versions of SDK (As client didn't wish use most latest version, but wish pay for fixes in his version). Also we have diffrent packages that use different revision of SDK, for example vika agent din't compatible with recent version of sdk, but work well wish 136 version.
Some our structures, types are changed from one major version to another. Usualy all branches are done in batch scripts, so I may add code for updating registry keys, if VAX store custom paths to include files in registry keys. But will be gread if VAX use include directories from project configuration.

If VAX work well, if I have put most recent version of SDK to his include paths?
Go to Top of Page

lexxmt

Latvia
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  05:58:28 AM  Show Profile
Anyway VAX on MOST projects work VERY WELL :), and very useful, going to buy license, when VS2005 CDs arrive :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile
i think the basic problem is simply telling VA to parse the code for the SDK. i can see why you need multiple copies, i was just hoping that would not be happening, because it complicates things slightly.

can you add a new project to the solution, which holds the SDK files? this way VA knows the location of the SDK files, they will show up in the OFIW and FSIW dialogs (presuming they don't currently) and it should parse the files correctly.

this is slightly messy, but i believe it will work and it should fix this problem quite easily. there is no need to make the main project dependent on this SDK project, and you can also exclude it from the build, so there should not be any side effects to this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000