VAX - VS.NET2003 - ImageList Error
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcoop
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello, I recently found VAX and installed it to work with Visual Studio.NET 2003. Everything appeared fine, until I started to work on a form that contains an imagelist control. The application throws a System.Reflection exception on the line of code that loads the images from the resource file. This had not occurred prior to installing VAX (minutes prior). I then uninstalled VAX but the error persisted. In fact, resinstalling VS.NET did not even help. I had to systematically rebuild my machine. Once rebuilt, I tried working with same form - it worked fine. I installed VBAX again and now I am back to getting the exception. I would really like to purchase VAX - can anyone offer some advise? Thanks

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  2:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Remove devenv.exe.manifest from the directory in which devenv.exe lives.
Go to Top of Page

lam
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  3:36:45 PM  Show Profile
after removed "devenv.exe.manifest" still got same error!!!
Please help, i think your product BUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!
==========================================
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  5:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Can you confirm the manifest is gone?

Can you search your HD for devenv.exe.manifest?
Go to Top of Page

raimonds.c
Starting Member

Latvia
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile
I've got this error too, plus some minor bugs with splitter controls (can't resize control inside derived, dynamically created form - error thrown).
After got ImageList error, i had disassembled two identical programs with some buttons and imagelist on the only form, compiled with and without installed VaX.
This exception is caused by destroyed (corrupted) imagelist resouce stream, saved within exe. This corruption takes place during .resx file generation at design time - corresponding imagelist stream entry can be successfuly read by the designer, but not at runtime by resource manager. This behaviour is very different in various languages - in C# this happens everytime, in VB only sometimes.
Previous mentioned bug with splitter was happened only in C#.

I have VS 2003 Architect.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  5:53:23 PM  Show Profile
have you done a search for "devenv.exe.manifest" and removed all copies? this could well be the cause of the problem. if it is, removing these files and restarting the IDE should fix it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

thatsafif
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  9:04:41 PM  Show Profile
I have the same error to do with image list control. I have done a search for all devenv.exe.manifest files, got one match, deleted it, restarted PC, restarted IDE, searched again, no matches, but still error persists.
If I remove your product works ok. Definetely a BUG in the product, unless you can give me solution here. Would be appreciated as I dont want to uninstall VAX.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2005 :  3:02:24 PM  Show Profile
you are going to have to give me details of your setup, and preferably steps that reproduce this problem before i could comment. is this easy to reproduce? can you produce a small project that has the problem?

what IDE and version of VA are you using? are you using any other method to apply themes to the IDE? i know if you ask WindowBlinds nicely it will skin the IDE.

Go to Top of Page

paulplatter

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2005 :  3:37:29 PM  Show Profile
From my experiences, it is a very bad idea to use a manifest file to get XP theme support for Visual Studio .NET 2003. If you do use a manifest file, any imagelist control that you edit afterwards will have the contents corrupted. This has to do with the issue that MS doesn't fully support usage of a manifest file with VS. NET. Of course, you do have two options to solve this issue.

Option 1:
Keep on using the manifest file with VS. NET. But from now on, you should include a manifest file with all your applications that have imagelist controls to prevent them from getting this error.

Option 2:
Stop using the manifest file with VS .NET. Now, for any applications where you edited the imagelist control after installing the manifest file, you will need to delete all the imagelist contents and re-add the images again.

You can find more information on this issue on Google.

Edited by - paulplatter on Oct 29 2005 3:39:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

AlexCode

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  5:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi...

We also have a trial version of the product and my partner had that same error... just messed all his project... this is supposed to make us more productive, not the contrary... righ? :(

We don't use the Manifest file for XP Themes... as we work on top of .net FrameWork 1.1 we only need to call Application.EnableVisualStyles for that (only FW 1.0 needs that Manifest trick).

VAX just messed up all his ImageList controls...

Any update on how to fix this? (permanently)

Guys... I think you're loosing some customers here... hurry up! :)

Beste Regards,
Alex
Go to Top of Page

Storme
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  6:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Same thing here.

A solution is welcom.
Go to Top of Page

roel

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  05:36:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm having the same problem. I'm using VS .Net 2003, but I do have VS .Net 2005 installed. I've searched for devenv.exe.manifest, found it in two places:

C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE
C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X

Renamed them both to 'devenv.exe.manifest_'. Closed the IDE, started it again, removed the images from the imagelist and added them again (as per http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.designtime/Aug2005/post23271764.asp) but none of it solved the problem. Please help.
Go to Top of Page

roel

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  07:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Ok, it does help if I add a manifest file to the application that is using the imagelist control, but that's not a real 'fix' of course. Can anyone who knows more about manifest files shed some light on this? Are they cached somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

tragib

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  10:17:44 AM  Show Profile
When this problem bit me a few months ago, I had to manually remove the manifest file from the VS.NET 2003 directory, and then delete the 'bin' and 'obj' folders from each of my project directories. Everything worked fine after rebuilding the entire project.

Hope that helps,
Travis

Go to Top of Page

AlexCode

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi...

That, for me, isn't a solution for the problem.
I've already uninstalled the product and will remain that way until a real fix is released.

Alex :p
Go to Top of Page

AlexCode

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  05:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Ok... looks like no one gives a damn or have any definitive solution about this.
Whole Tomato guys... Thanks for the "awesome" product support.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  5:15:28 PM  Show Profile
i am doing what i can, but without some information on how to go about reproducing this there is only so much i can do. i have emailed support about this, and i am hoping they can suggest something useful.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  9:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Builds 1424 and later of VA X do not install a manifest so the problem should not recur.
Go to Top of Page

AlexCode

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Still do...
For me the problem isn't the manifest but the forms resource files.
It just corrupts it in a way that we must delete it, deleting all the form's images.

Last time it occurred to me without having any imagelist on the form... the toolbar images just disappeared and the project stopped compiling due a resource file problem (the resource file of that form).

From all products I've tried yours is the best one... light and effective.
Please correct this because the product deserves it.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  7:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Alex assuming i have no idea what you are talking about (i use Qt for my windows programming) can you tell me how to reproduce this problem? or can you email me a sample project that illustrates it?

Go to Top of Page

AlexCode

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  10:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi...
It's kind of difficult because it doesn't have a specific way to make it occur.
I think this tends to be more critical as the application grows and as the resource files get bigger.

Try to build a project with a toolbar with a lot of buttons and all of them with images (add as much images to the form resources as you can).

Then try compiling and running it several times, open and close the forms at design-time several times...

Hopefully on a certain occasion it will raise an exception at design-time about the form's resource file.

I can't tell you when or how exactly it will blow... but I assure you it blows...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  6:04:08 PM  Show Profile
i need to see if i can hunt up a suitable example project at codeproject.com to test this with. which IDE and programming language are you using? i am not seeing you specify this in this thread.

also the unhelpful question, do you know that VA is a factor in this? VS 2003 is quite capable of making a mess of things on its own, without VA being installed *sigh*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000