float x,y,z;
	static float X,Y,Z;
};

int main()
{
	Test t;

t
}

4. Put cursor after the "t", then press ".". Note completion popup with X, x, Y, y, Z and z.

5. Note that typing "x" or "y" takes one to the lower-case "x" or "y", but pressing "z" takes one to the upper-case "Z".

After playing around further, you will notice some other oddities. (Well, I hope you will -- I certainly did.) Editing the structure -- changing X, Y and Z to XX, YY, ZZ, for example -- changes the order that VAX picks items from the list, but not the order that they are displayed. More egregiously, if you have VAX set not to enter symbols on entering a char not valid in a symbol, it will actually go ahead and do that -- very annoying if the next character was going to be ";".

(The real code is not exactly like this, of course, but it has "x", "y" and "z" in the structure, and some static const members beginning with "X", "Y" and "Z".)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:17:06 PM  Show Profile
i am getting a slightly different effect for the first case. for me 'x' and 'z' both jump to upper case letters while 'y' jumps to a lower case letter.

following some experimentation with a decent sized class it seems that case is basically ignored on completion listboxes (no question mark). instead the item you jump to is related to the item i would expect a suggestion listbox to suggest, so VAX is guessing what you are going to type.

i agree, it definitely looks odd, but i think this particular bit is a feature rather than a bug.

i am more concerned by your second point. am i reading this correctly, VAX is selecting and inserting the wrong item when you type semi-colon? i have tried this several times over with the code:

struct Test
{
    float x,y,z;
    static float XX,YY,ZZ;
};

typing semi-colon is never selecting anything for me. can you tell me what you are doing so i can make sure i am doing the same?

this is with VS 2003 and VAX 1418.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm doing basically what you say. Whichever entry is selected first (so I can select "XX" by typing "X" rather than "x", and it still happens) gets entered when you type a character not valid in a symbol. If I change to a different entry, by using the arrow keys, this no longer happens.

I have "accept suggestions with Enter" switched off, and pressing Enter sure enough doesn't enter the item. I have "accept suggestions with any char not valid in a symbol" switched off, which is why its behaviour surprises me.
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Oops -- forgot to say. VAX 1418 and VS.NET 2003.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  4:04:30 PM  Show Profile
all right, just to make sure that i am not missing something basic here the steps i tried are:

* load VS 2003 with VAX 1418 installed
* open a test C++ project
* create a new unnamed cpp file, and do not save it
* copy in your sample code
* change the static variables line to read "static float XX,YY,ZZ;"
* after "t" type ".x;", the list box was showing "x" and this worked correctly
* delete this and after "t" type ".y;", the list box was showing "y" and this worked correctly
* delete this and after "t" type ".z;", the list box was showing "z" and this worked correctly

so next i changed the static variables back to their original form. now when i type i am seeing something go wrong.

when i type "t.x" the selected suggestion is "X". i ignore this and type semi-colon, and i end up with "t.X;"

for "y" the selected suggestion is "y" so i end up with "t.y;"

for "z" the selected suggestion is "Z" and i end up with "t.Z;"

this is happening with VAX settings:
VA Options -> text editor -> suggestions -> display suggestion list and accept with:
tab = on
enter = off
any character not valid in a symbol = off

VA Options -> text editor -> correction -> repair case = off

this does not seem to be quite what you are getting, but it does seem to be a bug.

case=723

i have tried this on a second machine and i got upper case X, Y and Z inserted, so wrong all 3 times. i still cannot get it to go wrong with the XX, YY and ZZ variables though.

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  10:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Yes, sounds like you are getting the same behaviour as me.

I suspect that in the cases where it appears to be correct, it is actually wrong, and we are getting the suggestion rather than what was typed -- it just happens that these are the same thing. One for the philosophers, perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  4:52:07 PM  Show Profile
it is good to know i have caught the problem you were having.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000