Technical Support
 Workspace window is empty
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soundman32

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  06:04:30 AM  Show Profile
My application has >20000 files with about 30 DLL projects. When VC6 finishes loading the workspace the workspace window (classView/ResourceView etc) is missing. The frame/border is still there, but the lists/buttons everything else has dissapeared.

There is no way to get it back. Viewing/hiding the workspace window just toggles the border.

Any ideas?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:44:44 PM  Show Profile
not sure off hand. if you are not running the latest build of VAX you could try installing the latest build, and then letting it reset the IDE for you. this is a rather brutal method, but it may help.

beyond that is there some reset window layout option in the IDE?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Which version of VA are you using?

Is your workspace window docked or floating? You might try the opposite to see if the behavior changes.
Go to Top of Page

soundman32

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  03:40:42 AM  Show Profile
It is the latest version. I've removed/re-installed, but it makes no difference.
Go to Top of Page

soundman32

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  03:42:06 AM  Show Profile
It makes no difference if the window is docked or floating.

When I've seen this effect in my own programs, it's because the windows are hidden (SW_HIDE).
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  02:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Does this occur with other workspaces or does it only occur with this one workspace?
Go to Top of Page

soundman32

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  03:33:06 AM  Show Profile

It's the same with another workspace.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  3:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Do you have the VA View enabled (VA Options|Text Editor|C/C++ 6.0|General|Enabled VA View)? If so, disable it and restart the IDE. If not, enable it and restart the IDE. Any improvement?
Go to Top of Page

bottem

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  11:00:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm seeing exactly the same issue. VC6. Latest version of VAX. Class and File tabs are present while the source files are being parsed and loaded. When it finishes, I can still see the file and class tabs, but I can't click them. Then if I leave switch to a different program or if I hide/show the workspace, it is just solid grey.

It seems to come back when I click on the VAX options button. But I still can't click it. And it the workspace goes back to grey as soon as I click the OK button.

Still have problem after disabling VAX and after uninstalling VAX.
Go to Top of Page

soundman32

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  11:02:06 AM  Show Profile
It works fine if I disable VA View.

That's ok for me.

Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  7:29:20 PM  Show Profile
bottem - is this problem workspace-dependent for you? That is, does it happen in all workspaces or just a few?

Does resizing the workspace window help? (if docked, make it a floating window)

How is your workspace window configured?
- docking view docked inside the IDE main window,
- docking view but floating
- non-docking view as a regular maximizable/minimizable MDI window

If the window is normally docked, try undocking it and then restarting the IDE. Any improvement?

If the window is not docked, try docking it and then restarting the IDE. Any improvement?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile
soundman32 or bottem - it sounds like the VA View doesn't appear in the workspace window either, is this correct?

Does invoking the VA "Files in Workspace" command have any effect?
You would need to add this command to your VA toolbar since it isn't there by default. To do so:
Tools|Customize|Commands|Add-ins category
Look for the icon that has a folder in front of a tomato - it should be the second to last image if you have no other addins installed. Click on it. The description should be "Files in Workspace". Drag that icon to any toolbar and then close the Customize dialog.

Make sure the VA View is enabled (VA Options|Text Editor|C/C++ 6.0|General|Enable VA View).

Does clicking the new button fix the workspace window?
Go to Top of Page

bottem

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:38:50 AM  Show Profile
I've got ~300 projects and ~6k files. All projects and workspaces are autogenerated by external utility.

When I try to load the workspace, everything looks fine. Right after I open class view and try to expand a particular project, I see a count of how many more files are left to load. As soon as that count hits zero, two things happen, I see all the file names scrolling on the status bar and the Workspace window stops reacting to mouse clicks. If I change it to a floating bar, it becomes all gray, no tabs, nothing. Then if I attach it again, it is still all gray.

I have noticed also, that if I never go to the class view or file view tabs, everything seems to work. As soon as I try to expand a project in either the class or file tab, it seems to fail.

When I add the "Files in Workspace" command, I do see some effect. The dropdown appears where it should, showing me what it should. It looks pretty weird since it's appearing in the middle of an empty gray window. If I click it again to close it, it goes back to an empty gray window. No tabs.

Docked/undocked/MDI does not seem to make a difference.

I tried a different MSVC created .dsw with a few .dsps and they seemed to work okay. I only have the one .dsw that I work on.

UPDATE:
I was mistaken above. Only the class view tab causes the problem, I CAN expand projects in the file view tab.

Edited by - bottem on Aug 19 2005 2:35:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  02:40:02 AM  Show Profile
Finally getting somewhere just simply trying to reproduce this one.

Here is something to try - at least temporarily to see if it makes a difference for you.

Start the IDE but do not open any workspaces.
Make sure that the VA View is enabled (VA Options|Text Editor|C/C++ 6.0|General|Enable VA View).
In windows explorer, find the ncb file that has the same name as your large workspace (in the same directory as the .dsw).
Rename the file to *.sav.
Create a new zero-length file with the same name.
Make the new .ncb file read-only.
Now open the workspace.

Any improvement?
Go to Top of Page

soundman32

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  03:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Yes that stops the problem, but (as I'm sure you are aware), classview information is not available.

I presume this is narrowing down your debugging session?
Go to Top of Page

bottem

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  09:42:57 AM  Show Profile
I watched as the .ncb file was being created and noticed that it was growing steadily until it hit just under 5mb. Then it stopped growing with lots of files left to add. MSDEV continued to speed through files, but at a rate much faster than when it was the .ncb file was growing. This is repeatable for me. Every time I open the workspace, it gets to the same point. Down to the byte.

After I created a 0 byte readonly .ncb file, it did load up and seemed to work reasonably well, except as soundman32 mentioned, no classview.

One more data point: MSDEV does not seem to die appropriately when I close it. There is still an MSDEV process running that must be killed through task manager. This did not happen with the 0 byte readonly .ncb file.

After I uninstalled VAX completely, I noticed the same behavior with the .ncb file (same number of bytes when it stops prematurely). Perhaps the problem is something on my side with regard to .ncb creation and VAX doesn't handle that failure gracefully.

Any ideas what could cause additions to the .ncb file to stop prematurely?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm seeing similar oddities with .ncb file growth and file processing speed when working with workspaces that have file counts in excess of 5000 files (project count of 2 in my case).

case=722
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Bad news to report. My test workspace has about 8000 files in it (Qt4 + some of Firefox). If I remove VA and restart the IDE, the problem remains. The workspace window 'shutsdown' once it has finished parsing all the files needed for the classview. The window is erased and no further updates occur.

This is a bug in the IDE - it could be that the problem is exacerbated by the presence of VA but is beyond our control. With VA installed, the erase doesn't occur properly so you still see traces of whatever window was there last - this is why it appears the classview has frozen with X number of files left to process.

Without VA installed, if I go behind the IDE's back and make the workspace child windows visible, the class view is responsive until I expand a tree node for a class or type, at which point the IDE promptly crashes.

There must be some number of files that the classview can process after which it closes the workspace views (think resource exhaustion rather than strict file count). It could be that with VA installed, the threshold is lower - maybe not. At any rate, there is an underlying problem that the classview has with significant file counts that we will not be able to accommodate.

Two possible workarounds:
1 - if you don't use the classview, create a read-only zero byte ncb file
2 - disable the VA View - not guaranteed to solve the problem - depends on size of workspace
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000