Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Duplicate function signatures in tooltip popup

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tjcbs Posted - Oct 22 2014 : 6:38:24 PM
When the implementation of a function is in a .h file, the tooltip popup which comes up when you type "functionName(" will show you two options, the signature of the declaration and of the implementation. This is especially annoying when there are default values, since VA tends to show the implementation signature first, which cannot have a default value.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Oct 30 2014 : 9:47:07 PM
*ah* Thank you for the explanation! I have put in a bug report for this:

case=86021
tjcbs Posted - Oct 26 2014 : 3:32:45 PM
You *are* reproducing it.

The complaint is that the tooltip duplicates the function when the declaration and implementation are seperated. This gets annoying when the declaration, with the default parameters, is hidden by the implementation.
accord Posted - Oct 26 2014 : 07:47:27 AM
Thank you for taking the time sending in the project file, I found your comment about how to repro. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to reproduce the problem:

Can you please send in your Visual Assist and Visual Studio settings as well? (ideally by replying to the automated email you get back so everything will be in one place)

1. VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

2. IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

So I can import them here and hopefully they will help in reproducing this problem.
tjcbs Posted - Oct 23 2014 : 11:44:05 PM
Using VS2008, testcase sent.
accord Posted - Oct 23 2014 : 9:36:17 PM
quote:
when you type "functionName(" will show you two options, the signature of the declaration and of the implementation.

I get this using VS2013 update 3:

Which Visual Studio version are you using?

The project file might help.
tjcbs Posted - Oct 22 2014 : 10:46:02 PM
No, it is not checked.

I apologize, I left out an important reproduction step it seems. The problem is related to templates, and seperating the declaration and implementation of those. I've seen it happen with function templates, but it is not as easy to reproduce, it is very easy with classes. Stick the following in a header file, and then call TestFunc() in a source file. Let me know if you still cannot reproduce, and I will send a project.

template<class t>
struct Test
{   
   void TestFunc(int a);
};

template<class t>
void Test<t>::TestFunc(int a) 
{
}

edit: It works the same without the template parameter.

struct Test
{   
   void TestFunc(int a);
};

void Test::TestFunc(int a) 
{
}

accord Posted - Oct 22 2014 : 8:45:24 PM
Which Visual Studio and Visual Assist version are you using?
Can you please post a screenshot of the tooltip you get?
Do you have the following setting enabled?

VA Options -> Display -> Display additional comments when available

Are you able to reproduce the problem in a clean new win32 test project? If yes, can you please send in the sample project using the below form?
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please paste the URL of this topic to the "Your Request" field so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000