Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Goto command problem

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clif Posted - Jul 23 2009 : 11:22:43 AM
Visual Assist X 10.5.1727.0

Goto command (Alt-G and [Goto]button) goes well from function source to header, but never goes vice versa (from header to source).
Both files (.h and .cpp) located in same directory and reparsed.
Directory is listed in headers and sources directories lists.
Symbols database rebuild doesn't help.
Help, please.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Aug 22 2009 : 7:26:52 PM
case=30226 is fixed in build 1731
Clif Posted - Jul 31 2009 : 12:18:13 PM
I'll try, thanks.
feline Posted - Jul 30 2009 : 12:26:18 PM
This is unexpected, you are seeing a different effect to me.

Do you have the time to setup a simple test for this? A new default solution with a function declaration in the header file and the function implementation in a .cpp file will be fine. With "Parse all files when opening a project" still turned off manually reparsing the .cpp file should be enough to get alt-g working, letting you jump into the cpp file.

Parsing all files, this should only slow things down when you first load the solution. Once parsing has finished you should not see any slow down at all. If both the IDE and VA are parsing at the same time then this can cause quite a lot of slow down, these two FAQ's about avoiding this clash might help you:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8464

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133
Clif Posted - Jul 30 2009 : 03:18:14 AM
No. [Reparse current file] doesn't help.
Only "Parse all files when opening a project" does.
But this makes assist work slowly on our huge project (scrolling twitches, PgDown can hang for a seconds)...
feline Posted - Jul 29 2009 : 12:59:21 PM
I am seeing a very similar problem here:

case=30226

I would expect opening the cpp file to be sufficient for VA to parse the file and alt-g to work correctly.

If you use the menu command:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

to manually reparse the cpp file does alt-g in the header file now take you to the .cpp file? This works for me.
Clif Posted - Jul 29 2009 : 03:43:35 AM
feline, all functions that you listed (va-outline,alt-m,alt-up/down) work fine.
Except, maybe, va-find symbol (works only if [Show only symbols defined in current solution] is unchecked - is it correct?)

"Parse all files..." helped with Alt-G behaviour. But is it mandatory to do so?
Why can't assist correctly parse files, when I open it?
volker Posted - Jul 29 2009 : 02:30:12 AM
I can confirm the behaviour observed by Clif (version 10.5.1727.0, VS 2008, 9.0.21022.8). I started with a 'Clear History, cache and temporary files' and 'Rebuild Symbol databases' in the Visual Assist X Options.
After opening a project which contains both .cpp and .hpp files, I observe the following behaviour:

Alt+G works from source to header but not the other way. Alt+M in the source file shows all functions. 'Parse all files when opening a project' was not activated.

>> If you go to the cpp file and use alt-m are all of the functions listed correctly?

Yes. Alt+M does not show any problem.

After activating the 'Parse ...' option and restarting the IDE, I can choose from both options (*.cpp or *.hpp) when pressing Alt+G (in header AND source).

(BTW: Wouldn't it make sense to directly go from the *.hpp to the *.cpp and vice versa when pressing Alt+G on the declaration/definition when the 'target' is unique?)

Is it necessary to keep the option 'Parse all files ...' activated?
feline Posted - Jul 28 2009 : 7:02:10 PM
If you open VA's Find Symbols dialog is this function listed?
If you open VA's Open File dialog is this cpp file listed? If it is not part of the project, or VA does not think it is part of the project this might be a factor.

Since parse all files is turned off then you will need to open the cpp file, or somehow tell VA to parse the file. Until this happens VA will not know about the implementation. But once you have opened the cpp file VA should know about it.

This sounds like a parser problem, but normally these problems also effect the Alt-M list and VA Outline. Are there any obvious problems with either of these?

If you use Alt+Up Arrow and Alt+Down Arrow to move to the next and previous function in this cpp file does VA correctly stop at this "problem" function, or does it jump over it, or stop somewhere in the middle of the function? I would expect to see some problems with these commands if there was a parser problem at work here.
Clif Posted - Jul 28 2009 : 03:25:29 AM
When I'm in .cpp file, alt-g drops me correctly to func declaration in .h. Go-listbox shows only implemetation meanwhile.
When I'm in .h file, alt-g does nothing. Go-listbox shows only declaration.

"Parse all files when opening a project" is off, because project is massive. But, anyway, manual reparse is unsuccessful.
Previous versions of asssist didn't fail with this function (project is the same).
feline Posted - Jul 24 2009 : 1:47:25 PM
This is rather odd. If you call one of these functions and then press Alt-g on the function call what happens? Does VA list both the declaration and the implementation in a menu, or does it go directly to the declaration in the .h file?

Do you have:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

turned on or off?
Clif Posted - Jul 23 2009 : 6:19:35 PM
Functions are listed correctly.
And all other functions work well, only Alt-G is a problem.
feline Posted - Jul 23 2009 : 2:50:19 PM
If you go to the cpp file and use alt-m are all of the functions listed correctly? It almost sounds like VA cannot find the function implementations.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000